Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turned the house into a bistro last night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Turned the house into a bistro last night

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:18 am

I had a pail (yes, a pail) of beef stock that I'd made about a week or so ago and I had to start using it up, so............
I made a simmering pot of onion soup.

I picked up some onions at the market labeled "Pop's Sweets" - not sure what variety they were, but they were California grown. Followed standard onion soup technique, letting the onions slowly caramelize over low heat in plenty of butter.
We turned the finished product into a couple of ovenable onion soup crocks that I filched from a kitchen I'd visited earlier in the day (I'll return them tomorrow - I promise) floated a crouton, cut from a fresh baguette, on top, and then covered the top with grated Gruyere. Finished with a teaspoon of Courvoisier, and ran under the broiler until the cheese was all melted and bubbly with crispy crusty spots.

Served with a simple green salad, a baguette, and a bottle of '05 Domaine du Vissoux Beaujolais - Cuvee Traditionalle. The wine was drinking splendidly, and went down like water.
The soup had just enough body, and the onions had transformed into soft and lacey sweet strands. I was very pleased.
Dessert was a pear, and a small square of dark chocolate.
Then I took the metro over to the recliner, and fell into a peaceful, satisfied sleep.
Last edited by John Tomasso on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Turned the house into a bistro last night

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:28 am

Man, oh, man, I love onion soup. Beaujolais was an inspired choice.

Have you tried using Raclette for the cheese topping?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Man, oh, man, I love onion soup. Beaujolais was an inspired choice.

No, maybe we'll give that a whirl with the leftovers.
There's really no substitute for homemade. Whenever I try a version in a restaurant (unless it's a really good French one) I get something far too salty to enjoy.
An onion soup made with beef stock would be taboo for you, no? Do you just cook your in water, or do you use a vegetable stock?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:25 am

Roasted vegetable stock with some enhancements. Parmesan cheese rinds, thyme, sage, parsley, a few black peppercorns, a controlled amount of dark soy, and a homeopathic bit of dried porcini.

If I'm feeling lucky, I have added a few drops of Kuerbiskernoel at the end for a hint of smokiness, but that's too easy to overdo. Great when you hit it right, though...
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:09 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Man, oh, man, I love onion soup. Beaujolais was an inspired choice.

No, maybe we'll give that a whirl with the leftovers.
There's really no substitute for homemade. Whenever I try a version in a restaurant (unless it's a really good French one) I get something far too salty to enjoy.
An onion soup made with beef stock would be taboo for you, no? Do you just cook your in water, or do you use a vegetable stock?

It's salty because they're making it with beef base instead of stock. And they are going for color instead of taste. A common error.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:16 pm

Great stuff, John; makes you feel loved. Inspired addition on the brandy. Next time I make onion soup, I'll try that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov