Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

microwaved!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

Re: microwaved!

by Bob Sisak » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:22 am

Thomas,

We do just about all of the above, plus a few more.

- When I use part of an egg to glaze a loaf of bread, I nuke the rest and give it to the dog. He's since learned to stick close when I'm baking bread.

- We have these buckwheat and herb filled bags that we nuke for a few minutes, then use as warm, soothing hot packs.

- Definitely second the bacon. Put it between several sheets of paper towel and nuke for a few minutes, check for doneness and nuke till it's just right. The paper towels absorb all the grease. Of course, if you save the bacon grease, then this doesn't apply.
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

hot dog

by Warren Edwardes » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:57 am

Didn't somebody successfully sue a microwave manufacturer?

She put her wet poodle in the microwave to dry not having seen instructions to the contrary.

Basmati Rice is perfect in a microwave.

Soak Basmati Rice for 10 minutes. This expands the grains.
Boil lots of water in a kettle.
Meanwhile wash the Basmati Rice in a sieve
Both in a Pyrex perhaps with saffron and/or frozen peas and cover

Microwave for 12 minutes on high.

BINGGGG!

strain rice in a collader with cold water

Back in the Pyrex dish maybe with some butter

5 minutes more on High.

BINGGGG!

The rice is nice and fluffy.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: microwaved!

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:52 pm

1) Bacon

2) Softening butter for baking

3) And probably the most used function...as a breadbox for fresh baked breads or bagels. Keeps them fresh enough to use the next day without going stale.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: hot dog

by Bob Ross » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Warren, thanks for reminding me about the poodle/microwave law suit. I always enjoy re-reading the status of this litigation, which appears here in one iteration.

My brother and sister-in-law just bought a Winneabago, and on their way through town last week, brought along this bit of folklore as well:

Mr Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City.

In November 2000 Mr Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this.

He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

I'm pretty sure Mr. Grazinski made his coffee in the microwave. :-)[/url]
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:14 am

Bob Ross wrote:Warren, thanks for reminding me about the poodle/microwave law suit. I always enjoy re-reading the status of this litigation, which appears here in one iteration.

My brother and sister-in-law just bought a Winneabago, and on their way through town last week, brought along this bit of folklore as well:

Mr Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City.

In November 2000 Mr Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this.

He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

I'm pretty sure Mr. Grazinski made his coffee in the microwave. :-)[/url]

To be sure, he's a moron. What do we call the people who awarded him all that money for being a moron?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:04 am

Emphasis on "folklore", Thomas. :)

See the Snopes review of the genre.

I must say, though, that I was very impressed with how carefully thought out the Winnebago's features were -- I could almost imagine someone actually doing that.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am

You beat me to the Snope reference. I've heard the RV story for years in various iterations.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:41 pm

I had never been in a camper before last week, Larry. It was so home like that the story made a weird kind of sense.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:49 pm

I've driven a huge RV a number of times. It's actually quite easy. Just roll down your window and throw out $2 or $3 every 10 miles.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:52 pm

"... throw out $2 or $3 every 10 miles." :)

I've got to send that line to my brother, Larry.
Previous