Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What I learned today

by Jenise » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Coq au Vin! Now that would be a good pureed meal for my neighbor. Was thinking Chicken and Dumplings too, for another meal into which I could pack a little protein. Btw, to make this about 'learning', I can add that I've learned that dark meat purees more finely than white, which probably doesn't surprise anyone.

But what I came here to post, speaking of fowl meats: what I learned this morning is that there is an official chicken part called an 'airline chicken breast'. Some of you may be familiar but I swear I never heard of that before today--read it called for in a Food & Wine mag recipe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:10 pm

Interesting about the airline chicken breast. My first high school summer job was as a prep worker at the local KFC. They don't cut up a chicken the way supermarkets do. A supermarket cut-up chicken has eight pieces--two each of leg, thigh, breast, and wing. Instead of splitting the keel and leaving half of it attached to each breast, KFC leaves the whole keel intact as a ninth piece.

-Paul W
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:22 pm

Paul--make that "used to". They did cut the breast into three pieces to make all pieces more even in size, ostensibly, but that's not been the case for years. (I love KFC and am not afraid to admit it.)

I think the advantage of the airline breast, which is cut away from the back/keel so boneless but still attached to the wing drumette (airline/wing--get it?), is that the drumette holds the skin on which is otherwise not easy if you separate the breast from the carcass. Now, take the skin off and pound the breast flat and you have a paillard. Or at least it was required circa 1970 per the Vicar's wife who taught the Cordon Bleu class I took in London. Apparently, nowadays pounding any boneless/skinless meat flat can be called a paillard, though if that's the case why do we need the word scallop/escallope?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 am

Trust you to find that, Jeff! Interesting, though; some of what I believed is true but other parts are not, or at least they're not in 2021 no matter what I learned, or thought I did, elsewhere. The recipes at the end of the article are interesting. I can't remember the last time I treated a chicken breast that way, and now I want it. Ditto the braciole--didn't think it would be called that if it wasn't braised.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:55 pm

We aim to please.

I really like pounded/flat meats as long as the cook makes sure they don't dry out. But I've had really good pork schnitzel and Milanese.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:29 am

Jenise wrote: I learned this morning is that there is an official chicken part called an 'airline chicken breast'. Some of you may be familiar but I swear I never heard of that before today

Ooooh, Jenise. You just swore in vain!!

We discussed airline chicken in 2016

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57012&hilit=airline
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:41 pm

Well, so we did! I have zero recollection of that (obviously). I think Jeff G brought the most meaningful information to that conversation, though, shedding the light about the Statler cut actually being served frequently on actual airlines. It remains true that I've never seen it sold that way or called for in a recipe before last week.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Once in a great while I will see a recipe call for an 'airline chicken breast'. But it is rather uncommon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Tonight: roasted breast of well-endowed chicken. A single share-able mammory, with some stuffing made from the last of my fresh sage plant which has only weeks left to survive.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm

And, while Jenise is chomping on double-D chickadee, I made a lovely dressing for mushroom ravioli from pancetta, mushroom and carrot, seasoned with basil, juniper berry, and just a drop of (real) truffle oil.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:05 pm

I've been unable to find Mexican oregano for sale in any stores around here. Penzeys has "Mexican oregano" for sale. Does anyone out there know if this is genuine Mexican oregano or conventional oregano imported from Mexico?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Paul, I can not answer your specific question. I can tell you that I have Penzey's Mexican Oregano and it is very different from the variety I grow and dry myself or the variety I buy in an Italian market in the form of dried, whole stalks. I also have Oregano Indio from Rancho Gordo which is another thing entirely. They are not interchangeable.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks, Christina. Rancho Gordo sells the genuine Mexican oregano. The picture on their website looks right and their description mentions the correct scientific name for the plant, Lippia graviolens.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 pm

I learned the value and utility of restaurant-quality pizza pans last night. There is a chef's supply store convenient to DH. He brought home 2 pans for the grand sum of $9+. Used one last night. Big difference in crust evenness, slices removed so easily, even tasted better. Sure beats Amazon. Plan to shop there for anything needed for the kitchen. Bet those pans last longer while looking decent.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:29 am

Pat G wrote:I learned the value and utility of restaurant-quality pizza pans last night. There is a chef's supply store convenient to DH. He brought home 2 pans for the grand sum of $9+. Used one last night. Big difference in crust evenness, slices removed so easily, even tasted better. Sure beats Amazon. Plan to shop there for anything needed for the kitchen. Bet those pans last longer while looking decent.

Restaurant supply stores were favourite browsing places for me, although I never come out empty handed! Much cheaper now 8 live in a rural area and have no access to such temptations.
They selll good sturdy stufff in all sorts of sizes. Lots of fun if you are cooking obsessed.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:46 pm

I buy from Penzeys and yes, the Mexican oregano is very different than the Turkish Oregano.
This is a fun read...
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-3778-the-or ... xican.aspx
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I also have Oregano Indio from Rancho Gordo which is another thing entirely. They are not interchangeable.

Oregano indio is the name in Spanish for two species of herb from Mexico in the genus Poliomintha. Confusingly it also goes by the name Mexican Oregano in English. It's as bad as the Thai basil situation. :roll:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:46 am

Today, thanks to my brother's sleuthing, I learned that someone else on this planet had a grandmother who made the identical green Jello 'salad' that my beloved grammy brought to Thanksgiving dinner every year of her life. The recipe's actually called "Grandma's Jello salad"!

Here's a link, should you be so curious:

https://homecookingmemories.com/lime-green-jello-salad-recipe-cottage-cheese-pineapple/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm

I see that my Mom's total lack of interest in cooking does have a bright side. :wink:

I recently saw a meme that recommended a particularly glisten-y, "Transparent Human Body" sort of jello dessert as a way to never again be asked to bring something to a potluck.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:35 am

I have a recipe called Andy's Pink Fluff using pineapple, strawberry jello, and not sure what else. It is quite good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:02 am

Karen, to like that kind of thing one has to, at the outset, like Jello, which I don't, and the things generally mixed with it like Cool Whip and marshamallow, which I don't. So I'll have to take your word for that. :)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 am

I knew the significance of varying butterfat content in different butters before but it was never so obvious as to make an impression. Made some clarified butter with a new brand “on special” at our local store. Fully 1/4 th of melted volume was whey and milk solids. It then dawned on me how this could wreck baked goods if not accounted for and was the reason for using a high butterfat content butter for the pie crust that was a disaster for other reasons. I wonder why most baking recipes don’t specify what butterfat content to use but suspect we will be seeing that in the future.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Well, we certainly should! Someone once suggested to me that water content in butter is a national preference kind of thing. No idea whether that's so.
PreviousNext