Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: What I learned today

by Barb Downunder » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:15 am

Paul Winalski wrote:A lot of Americans consider Mac & Cheese to be one of the ultimate comfort foods because they ate it so often as children. It's popular with busy moms because it's easy to make, the ingredients are cheap, and even kids who are picky eaters tend to like it. I was never particularly fond of it as a kid, but I did enjoy the brown and crunchy bits and did eat it without complaining (unlike my reaction to Brussels sprouts).

I've never had the commercial Mac & Cheese that comes in the blue box. If it bears the same relationship to from-scratch Mac & Cheese that green-can grated Parmesan bears to fresh-grated Parmagiano Reggiano, I'm not surprised you found it disgusting.

-Paul W.

Yes it was in a blue box and your analogy re the canned “Parmesan” is spot on!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:32 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I really don’t know what I was thinking when I bought a box of macncheese. Had never had it before and thought might be an easy lunchtime meal. It. Was. Disgusting. I couldn’t even think what could make it edible other than chucking it in the compost and making something else.

Maybe it depends on brand, or I just have cheap taste. :) But I actually like the flavor of American cheese and therefore the cheap Kraft stuff--which I would not otherwise consider real food--when mixed about 1:1 with chopped broccolini occasionally provides a tasty, quick lunch.

And to Paul: I didn't grow up on it. It never occurred at our home and if it had I wouldn't have touched it. Hated all cheese except Swiss, and especially despised it melted. Didn't even eat pizza.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:19 pm

No m+c growing up here, either. Don't think I ever had it till I went to college. It's a good food for cafeteria service... bland and indestructible.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:37 pm

Homemade M+C can be pretty good. I remember such M+C at covered dishes/potlucks when I was younger. After all, what's wrong with pasta and cheese?

Same with baked beans. I'm going to make some tomorrow. I found some great northern beans I had stashed. I love baked beans, aka the musical fruit.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:37 am

I love macaroni and cheese, but then again I love pasta. It seems so hard not to like, it's just pasta in a cheese sauce. The rest is idiosyncratic recipe variations. And it goes without saying that many versions encountered in the public are awful. But the concept is Unbeatable!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 am

With as many young nieces and nephews there were in my family, I try to keep a box or two in the pantry. I've tried a lot of brands to find the best one. Kraft, Annie's, Velveeta, Cheetos, and Cabot are available in most supermarkets around here. My thorough investigation leads to to the conclusion that none of them hold a candle to the real deal.

Two quick stories. My wife and I used to host family events (Thanksgiving, Easter, New Years brunch, etc.) I kept having to make larger amounts of my homemade mac & cheese. One of her business trips took her to Paris so I suggested that she stop at Dehillerin and pick up their largest oval roasting pan. Never ran out after that. It held well over 3 lbs of elbows.

So at one of these events where we served mac & cheese one of my nieces asked "Why isn't it orange?" I used yellow cheddar the next time, but it was more of a pastel than the dark orange of the blue box.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:55 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:bland and indestructible.

Or, as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy puts it, "mostly harmless".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:15 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I love macaroni and cheese, but then again I love pasta. It seems so hard not to like, it's just pasta in a cheese sauce. The rest is idiosyncratic recipe variations. And it goes without saying that many versions encountered in the public are awful. But the concept is Unbeatable!

As an adult, I'm with you here. However I prefer it a bit more sparsely sauced than what most make, and I don't care for it when aged cheddar or any cheese that comes out grainey or rubbery when melted is involved.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:31 pm

Jenise wrote:...I don't care for it when aged cheddar or any cheese that comes out grainey or rubbery when melted is involved.

Yeah, I haven't used cheddar in decades. (Some of my early undergrad versions were with Cracker Barrel)

I rarely make macaroni and cheese. Maybe once a year. But my standard cheeses would be fontina, comte, gruyere, emmenthal, those types, maybe some parmigiano (or related) on top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:40 pm

The last M&C I made involved a jar of sliced truffles, chopped tomatoes and a lot of parmesan. OMG was that good. It was probably 3 years ago, though. Between the fat and the carbs, though, it's not something I feel good about eating.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Home made Mac and Cheese with a good elbow pasta like De Cecco or Barilla, fresh lobster, garlic , a great cheese sauce made with Gruyère, Havarti, Fontina, or smoked Gouda, Top with fresh chives...to die for!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:22 pm

I love the sound of that one, Karen!

Last night, tired of meat (the day before, between lunch and dinner we'd had fried chicken, foie gras on toast, and roast leg of lamb--that's a lot of meat) for dinner I made vegan rice bowls. I had made a VERY lemony rice with herbs to go with the lamb so that was the base and each was topped with peas and green beans. On the side we had fresh cherry tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt. Great for eating in bed, which we're still having to do. (The night before Bob came down to the dining room but ended up in so much pain my 6'5" dinner guest had to carry him to bed.) Absolutely fantastic. God bless leftovers.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:44 pm

I had to look up kale rabe as I have never heard of it before Jenise's post. I certainly would have bought it and will buy it as soon as I do see it. More likely to see it in Pittsburgh or New York. Much less likely here in the upper midwest where we are just now regularly seeing broccolini and never broccoli rape. Thanks for the ideas
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:25 pm

This is only the second year I've seen it here, Christina, and I'm sure only because it's grown locally. Lot of vegetarians here who appreciate variety in the produce department. Currently both green and purple are available, but as you would now know it's an early season product. We also get commercially grown broccoli rabe from time to time in some of the regular supermarkets.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:38 am

And here, in NYC, it is easy to get broccoli rabe but not so easy to get broccolini. (Sixty-five colors of kale, no problem! :lol: )
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:46 pm

I adore broccolini, Jeff and buy it often. In local stores it tends to run $5-7 for a small bundle though so it's one of my never-leave-Trader-Joe's-without-it ingredients for stops at that store. $3 for a package of organically grown.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:48 am

Jenise wrote:I adore broccolini, Jeff and buy it often. In local stores it tends to run $5-7 for a small bundle though so it's one of my never-leave-Trader-Joe's-without-it ingredients for stops at that store. $3 for a package of organically grown.

Jenise, have you a Farmer's Market in your area I bought a package last week of broccolini from a grower who owns Red Gate Ranch. Huge package, enough to feed 4 to six depending if you add more veggies to it and it was $5.00. It held well for a week and I just did a stir-fry with it yesterday.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:38 pm

We do have a Farmers Market and locals grow some awesome things. Love them! Just haven't been able to get away much lately for that kind of shopping--it's a two hour round trip, minimum, and Bob's not up to the trek.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue May 02, 2023 7:27 am

Jenise wrote:We do have a Farmers Market and locals grow some awesome things...it's a two hour round trip, minimum...

Wow. That is a serious trip. I've been known to travel for food shopping, but not sure I would justify that length very often either.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 02, 2023 1:31 pm

Well, it's a half hour each way and 20 minutes just trying to find a parking place (no lots, all metered street parking and scant for the number of people wanting spaces, one might end up several blocks away). Actual shopping itself, maybe 30 minutes. So it's a big commitment on time on Saturdays when lots of people want to be in downtown for reasons having nothing to do with the Farmers Market. Unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be there every weekend.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 02, 2023 2:47 pm

Today I learned that there's more than one name for 'hanger steak'. A Chinese foodie friend on Facebook who doesn't have a very strong grasp of English called it 'hung steak'. Had to laugh....
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat May 06, 2023 3:07 am

If it's aged, I suppose its well-hung steak.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 06, 2023 6:23 pm

Or over-cooked. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 12, 2023 1:54 pm

I like trying new things, so bought "greenland Turbot" at fishmonger. Then learned it's actually a halibut, but considered inferior to other halibuts (or turbot). Mostly it's smoked or used for ....pet food. Actually it turned out fine- moist mild tender. Was in a recipe where it it poached in chipotle accented broth, might have been less pleased if I had roasted straight.
PreviousNext