Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Problem with chili

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Problem with chili

by Christina Georgina » Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am

I have no problem eating chili up to the Scoville heat of red Habanero and I often add a pinch of a milder red pepper flakes while cooking. What I do have and it is worsening with time and becoming worrisome is nearly instantaneous coughing when I cut into a hot pepper. I have taken to making major cuts with the pepper completely submerged under water, removing some seeds and ribs and then proceeding. I still cough until the chili is in the pot, usually for sauteeing. Does anyone have this ? Anything worse to come ? I am just amazed that the capsaicin is so quickly aerosolized and inhaled to cause the reaction which is not just upper airway but seems bronchial as well.
Came up last night while cutting a jalapeno which was only mildly hot to taste.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Problem with chili

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 07, 2021 11:48 am

I suggest consulting your physician. Severe allergic reactions of this sort can be very dangerous.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 pm

I noticed these type of changes as I aged, along with my tolerance for hot peppers. I suggest wearing a mask while cutting peppers (which we all have a supply of these days). Some days are better than others, and along with the coughing reaction comes some feeling of strangulation when eating them on occasion. Afraid it will not get better with time. I noticed this change about 5 years ago. Unfortunately, that feeling of throat irritation to the point of that strangulation experience also came with strong citrus as well. I've not found anything on the market that will mitigate these reactions. Good luck with yours. If you find anything that helps, please share.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm

Somewhat similar, Christina. I'm a little susceptible, where I didn't used to be at all, to aerosol heat. I rarely use the very hot ones so it doesn't come up often, but it has, and in the milder cases I often sneeze a bit--even black pepper will make me sneeze. I have not considered this worrisome vs just another one of those new sensitivities that comes with aging.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri May 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks Paul, Jo Ann and Jenise for pushing me to look into this a little further. It was simply observational before but concerns about possible worse effects led me to understand that the effect is not an allergy. Capsaicin induced cough has long been a tool for studying cough reactivity and in testing of anti tussive treatments. It does cause some measurable changes in airway function, although minor and different in those with asthma and can lead to sensitization. Interestingly, citric acid also induces the cough reflex by a different mechanism so Jo Ann you seem to have both mechanisms at play. I did not find any reference to dangerous outcome but clearly "dose" in the kitchen is far different than the carefully controlled doses in solution in the lab.
In any event I will now keep a mask in my odds and ends drawer in the kitchen. A great suggestion Jo Ann because I do notice that it has gotten slightly worse over the last few years.
One reference https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1849925/
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Fri May 07, 2021 2:34 pm

I like Chile better than chili. If it is cold outside some people say as a description "well, it's not Argentina."
Last edited by Richard L on Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 07, 2021 3:49 pm

I like chiles used in chili. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:31 am

Like JoAnn, as I get older I notice that my tolerance is fading. But I don't have such an instant reaction as you describe. However, I do think the biggest problem with Chili is people who put beans in it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:59 am

Robert J. wrote:Like JoAnn, as I get older I notice that my tolerance is fading. But I don't have such an instant reaction as you describe. However, I do think the biggest problem with Chili is people who put beans in it.

Sounds Texan. I'm a rebel, I guess. I'll eat chili con carne either way. Same with pineapple on pizza. I eat shellfish. I eat pork. I eat beef. I eat meat and dairy together (think cheesesteak). No food prohibitions for me. Arrgghh. :x
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:29 pm

LOL, Robert--you know I almost never face a bowl of chili (whether w/ or w/o) and not think of you. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Christina Georgina wrote: Does anyone have this ? Anything worse to come ? .

I have a similar reaction when SWMBO opens her wallet, but......

It sounds like you are developing an increasing sensitivity to the irritants in the peppers and I agree with the others that you should see an allergist sooner rather than later. Just having a reaction to irritants is usually a normal reaction but an escalating problem isn't. Let us know how you fare!