Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wide shallow bowls instead of plates

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Wide shallow bowls instead of plates

by Jenise » Sun May 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Anyone into these? I just bought these gorgeous black ones and am really excited about using them. They're shallow enough to use a knife and fork in but also deep enough pastas and foods that tend to spread on a flat plate. Too, I am increasingly attracted to brothier sauces which need containment.

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tableto ... 35621.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: Wide shallow bowls instead of plates

by John F » Sun May 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Don’t talk to my wife about that one!! I love the shallow bowls and want to use them almost all the time .... she still leans towards plates and says “there is something weird about you and your bowl fascination”..... it will only get worse for you Jenise!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm

I'm tempted!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 09, 2021 6:00 pm

John F wrote:Don’t talk to my wife about that one!! I love the shallow bowls and want to use them almost all the time .... she still leans towards plates and says “there is something weird about you and your bowl fascination”..... it will only get worse for you Jenise!

I need white ones, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun May 09, 2021 7:30 pm

I have some. I use them for pasta, stew, and soup where soup is the main course because it's a soup for supper night..
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 pm

I love my wide, shallow bowls although more shallow than what you show. Always for salads. Always for pasta. Often for soup depending on heartiness. Drawback is that they cool quickly so always warmed before hot foods. Brothier soups that have garlic toast at their bottom or a soup that is the main course call for a deeper earthenware bowl and I have ones that retain the heat.
I often get away with using a dinner plate as charger for the bowl so that when the bowl takes leave the plate is ready for the next course.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 09, 2021 8:30 pm

We use shallow pasta bowls - nothing as fancy as that – for meals a good bit of the time. Really the call between bowls or plates depends on the texture of the dish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Christina, there are so many variations. Some are wide and flat essentially, and some like these tilt the ingredients to the center of the bowl. As John F indicates, I'm likely doomed. Today I used these the first time at lunch, ladling in some of that Moroccan soup I made from the recipe Bill posted and used as a sauce base for a seared and steamed cauliflower steak topped with a bright celery leaf salad.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 am

Can you line them with, say, taco dough and bake them off? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Can you line them with, say, taco dough and bake them off? :mrgreen:

No, but YOU can!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm 'bowl'ed over!

I don't have any big wide bowls - I prefer the ones that are big and wide but have a smaller food receptacle in the centre. The big shallow ones allow food to cool too quickly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Shape's important, Bill. I love those 'hat bowls' you speak of but have never managed to locate any for home use. They also make food delivery to the dining table, without risk of spilling, easy for those whose dining rooms are in a separate zip code than their kitchen (nudge nudge) but quantity wise they're not so good for pasta dishes. These bowls I just bought are wonderful. The sloping sides help contain sauces and heat. But I still need white ones.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 pm

I looked for a long time for those bowls as I had never seen them except in restaurants. They allow you to serve a bijou amount in a large bowl, it keeps warm and they actually hold the same amount of food as my Italian pasta bowls do, though they sure don't look like they will. Finally found them at a very modest price at Gourmet Warehouse. Searched a long time, though. Several restaurants use them but when I asked they were available only via the wholesale outlets to restaurants.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Several restaurants use them but when I asked they were available only via the wholesale outlets to restaurants.

Plenty of restaurants closed in the past year; they sold off their stuff.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 pm

Jeff, so true. I keep meaning to look around in Seattle for some of those hat bowls. Good used-restaurant supply houses down there.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 18, 2021 2:10 pm

And the 'hat' brim gives you a handy place to balance your bread! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue May 18, 2021 9:34 pm

No need to apologize, I totally get needing a white set.
Mamma Mia !