Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How long do stoves last?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

How long do stoves last?

by John F » Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 am

We bought a house in Western NC and we are doing some renovations. There is a Viking 48” stove now that I would estimate is at least 15 and closer to 20 years old. It is a nice setup but has been heavily used and is a little beat up. Trying to decide if I just replace with a new one (not cheap!!) or get some kind of professional, heavy duty cleaning and service for it. Are these the kind of things that are supposed to last like 40 years if you treat it right? Or is his nearing the end of its useful life anyway? We would not subject this to heavy use.... maybe 3 months a ywar
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: How long do stoves last?

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Some stoves last forever. I would have kept my Dacor dual-fuel, which I really liked, except the model I owned had a resin-cast fascia and oven handle. Heat and age developed cracks and worst, so I tossed it for another range I'm not crazy about.

If your Viking works to your satisfaction, I'd certainly refurbish it instead of buying another. Cheaper, for one.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm

I am no expert on stove longevity but for my money and cooking in the setting you describe I would be all about convenience and ease of maintenance especially if the NC place is a "get away" or vacation spot. I longed for a high powered gas stove for years and I simply detest the maintenance for the heavy, cast iron grates. Induction was just becoming available at the same time and we put in a second cooktop on an island. I do everything possible to avoid the 6 burner, 22000 BTU gas stove and use the 2 hob induction 90% of the time. If you're trying to save $ and don't mind the upkeep stick with it till it crumps for good. FWIW I assume that the gas lines and hook ups are up to code. Worth an inspection as that was an issue recently in a 70 year old dwelling
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I am no expert on stove longevity but for my money and cooking in the setting you describe I would be all about convenience and ease of maintenance especially if the NC place is a "get away" or vacation spot. I longed for a high powered gas stove for years and I simply detest the maintenance for the heavy, cast iron grates. Induction was just becoming available at the same time and we put in a second cooktop on an island. I do everything possible to avoid the 6 burner, 22000 BTU gas stove and use the 2 hob induction 90% of the time. If you're trying to save $ and don't mind the upkeep stick with it till it crumps for good. FWIW I assume that the gas lines and hook ups are up to code. Worth an inspection as that was an issue recently in a 70 year old dwelling

What maintenance are you talking about regarding cast-iron grates?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 17, 2021 2:10 pm

John, I have opinions!

1) I bought a six burner+grill Viking about 12 years ago for about $12,000. It gets heavy use and has had issues (read on). About the same time another friend bought a Thermidor. No problems, still loves it. And the burner fits are tight, no dripping to a tray below like Viking. Super easy to clean.

2) A friend here in the neighborhood (Laura) has one she's not happy with, and another (Donna) just junked her 30" Viking and replaced it with a $5K Thermidor that she loves rather than fund the $1200 repair required again. The Thermidor sale included a free Themidor DW, so all around it was a fine deal. I've had three $800+ repair bills in 12 years, so I really feel Donna's pain and think she made a smart move.

3) The only-game-in-town major appliance dealer all of us bought all our appliances from has dropped the Viking line. Three reasons: part cost have gone up (a pre-Pandemic problem not related to the worldwide supply chain issues) 2-3x, supply is slow when it occurs, and vendor support is very poor though supposedly there's a Viking rep in Seattle. On the issue of vendor support, per the service department we're stuck with Wolf is the cream of the crop followed by Dacor and GE.

I honestly don't know a single soul who has a Viking that they're happy with. My advice? Live with it. But when it goes wonky on you, don't repair it, replace it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue May 18, 2021 9:17 pm

Larry, what I mean by maintenance is really just keeping it clean. The totally flat induction cooktop with touch control, no knobs to collect schmutz is what I go for. A simple wipe or two with a wet dishcloth and it looks like it did when it was installed.The cast iron has to be lifted, the nooks and crannies debrided of schmutz, the burn and grease layers build up no matter how fastidious I am in cooking. Forget about the one who has never lifted a grate in their lifetime, no matter how schmutzy. The debris could stay on forever as far as they are concerned! There are 12 separate cast iron parts that get only partially clean in the dishwasher and particles of food fall into the spaces all around the parts. I really want to spend more of my time cooking and less in clean up.
In terms of actual cooking, the induction hob has it all over the gas in terms of simmer. High heat cooking is a wash. They perform equally well. So, for me a swipe with a wet dishcloth wins out.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:59 am

So what did you decide, John?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 pm

Jenise

In the end I went with a new unit. I got a Wolf dual fuel with six burners and a griddle. I was ultimately persuaded by Christina’s thought that this is a “getaway” place and there is a premium on reliability and convenience. The vision of assembling the whole family there for Thanksgiving only to have the stove crap out and need a week for repairs was all to easy for me to imagine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Good job, you got the best. You'll love that griddle too.