Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Mills??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Food Mills??

by John F » Wed May 26, 2021 1:40 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever used one. How about you guys? Was looking a recipe that called for tomorrow to go through a food mill... important tool or not really?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Food Mills??

by Jenise » Wed May 26, 2021 1:44 pm

John, if you made jams all the time, you might want one. Or if you grew up in France using one all the time, you might want to reconnect with that tool.

I qualify for neither, but all the same my inner French cook decided I was missing out, so I bought one about ten years ago. You know how much I cook, but I've only used it twice. I'm thinking that if you haven't needed one before you don't need one now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 26, 2021 3:35 pm

I had access to one, once upon a time. It was an incredible mess and no better than using a blender or a potato masher.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 26, 2021 4:17 pm

I'm going to be the outlier here. We have an old-school Foley food mill, and I use it all summer to make a smooth tomato sauce/puree that we then freeze in ziploc bags, one cup in each, to last us through the winter. To be honest, I don't use it for much else, but if you want utterly smooth mashed potatoes it's a nice touch, or if you're making a sauce or soup in which complete smoothness is a plus. I've had this old one for many years, and it works just as well as it always did. Mostly for the tomatoes, but it's nice to have around on other occasions.
foley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I had access to one, once upon a time. It was an incredible mess and no better than using a blender or a potato masher.

These were invented long ago, before blenders and food processors graced every kitchen. With those inventions at hand, it's only remaining superpower is separating fresh uncooked fruit flesh from tiny seeds. Ergo, tomatoes, raspberries and the like are the immediate beneficiaries. Both times I've used mine was for berries. Tomatoes? I just separate the seed pods and mash them through a mesh strainer, or just go ahead and leave them in my tomato soup. I don't consider them bitter or unpleasant, as is their reputation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 27, 2021 12:00 pm

In a similar vein, what do folks think about china caps? Chef Carey recommended running classical French sauces through one. I have one and I use it mainly for straining Inner Beauty hot sauce.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 27, 2021 12:38 pm

I have two. Don't use them often as I mostly use them for straining meat broths, but when I need one nothing else will do.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 27, 2021 3:04 pm

I had to look it up! It doesn't look anything like Mao's hat. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 am

In addition to tomatoes as mentioned I also use mine for applesauce. No need to peel and core and red skinned apples make a lovely colored sauce.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 28, 2021 9:39 am

Yes! Never peel apples for applesauce: the texture of the skin flecks is a great thing.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 28, 2021 11:49 am

Jenise wrote:Yes! Never peel apples for applesauce: the texture of the skin flecks is a great thing.

Agreed. I used to make lovely red/pink apple sauce with a food mill for my son when he was a toddler. Now he no longer wants to eat applesauce and it just sits in the cabinet! (Doesn't help that we left Nyc and moved to a very non-appley area)