Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grocery prices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Grocery prices

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Limited to grocery produce now in western PA everything tastes like paper. Tried 2 different farmer's markets here last summer and despite being a somewhat rural area they didn't hold a candle to the farmer's markets of Wisconsin. Missing the flavor and freshness.

I identify with this! So often grocery store fruit and produce just looks and tastes dead. But, unfortunately, having access to great local farmer's markets is a privilege, so I try to keep things in perspective. Interesting that the western PA farmer's markets are so weak. Are they the actual farmers? Or just people re-selling wholesale food outside in the market format.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 am

I find it odd, too, that western PA farmer mkts are not so good. I grew up in NE PA and remember the opposite. Wonder what's going on?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 am

Rahsaan wrote: Are they the actual farmers? Or just people re-selling wholesale food outside in the market format.

Astute question. The farmers markets where I used to live in the giant basin of Los Angeles and Orange counties where there were really no farms anymore were mostly the latter. Those who lived closer to Ventura County had many good, authentic farmers. But where I was, just a tomato guy who came up from down near San Diego and occasionally someone selling avocados off their own trees, but those were rare. The markets up here are all the former. It's wonderful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Not reselling wholesale foods and not farmers. A handful, not more than 5-6 people selling a very few items from their home garden. More people selling very ordinary baked goods, jarred jams, pickles etc. I would have to go much further out into farm country to see roadside stands usually with limited but tasty offerings. Not possible for me to get away for long enough to search these out or get into the city proper.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:15 pm

How long before you get back to Wisconsin, Christina? Must be painful to be away when a lot of your fruit is coming in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm

From today's Journal:

The U.S. economy’s rebound from the pandemic is driving the biggest surge in inflation in nearly 13 years, with consumer prices rising in May by 5% from a year ago.

The Labor Department said last month’s increase in the consumer-price index was the largest since August 2008, when the reading rose 5.4%. The core-price index, which excludes the often-volatile categories of food and energy, jumped 3.8% in May from the year before—the largest increase for that reading since June 1992.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Wonder if it's as good as Selzer's, which is no longer out here. I've had to do with Boar's Head, which is a pale reflection of the PA stuff.

I don't usually buy cold cuts, but when I saw to my great delight that my local supermarket is carrying Seltzer's Lebanon bologna, I couldn't resist buying some. Boy, is that stuff good!

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Lucky you, Paul, have a few slices for Larry and I!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Isn't it? I envy you. :( One supermarket here used to carry Seltzer's, but they switched to a Texas outfit. Haven't bought anything from their deli since. The other supermarket has Boar's Head Lebanon Bologna, but there's an order of magnitude of difference. And it ain't positive. There's really no substitute.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 am

I live near Italian grocers so buy mortadella. Should I want bologna, too?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Lebanon bologna is named after Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, where it was developed by Pennsylvania Dutch settlers in the 1700s. It's a semi-hard beef sausage with a texture similar to Italian salami. It's made from ground up beef, spices, and curing salts. The sausages are left for 10 days and then hardwood slow cold smoked for four days. Lebanon bologna is very smoky and spicy (not in the hot sense). It has a completely different appearance, texture, and flavor from Italian bologna.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:04 pm

Anxious to check out prices in WI on my return July 6. Husband has neighbors coming to pick strawberries, snap peas and zucchini blossoms now. Red and black raspberries will likely be in harvest before return. I planted wasabi arugula and Malabar spinach before I left which should be ready on my return. Will be there long enough for the cucumbers, Romano beans, tomatoes and escarole head harvest. Yeah !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks for the primer, Paul.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Lebanon bologna is named after Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, where it was developed by Pennsylvania Dutch settlers in the 1700s. It's a semi-hard beef sausage with a texture similar to Italian salami. It's made from ground up beef, spices, and curing salts. The sausages are left for 10 days and then hardwood slow cold smoked for four days. Lebanon bologna is very smoky and spicy (not in the hot sense). It has a completely different appearance, texture, and flavor from Italian bologna.

-Paul W.

It has a vinegary, sour flavor too which I think is it's most excellent feature.
Previous