Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Protein powders

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Protein powders

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:27 pm

I'll be asking at my local health food store, but would appreciate recommendations or advice on protein powders (heck, maybe even protein bars) to use as a dietary supplement for aging bones. I think a supplement of this type would benefit my husband but I hardly know where to start. If any of you have experience, would love to hear about it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Protein powders

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 am

If I understand the science correctly, protein powders will not increase bone mass density: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4454800/

The Mayo Clinic says there is insufficient evidence whether any home remedies (presumably, this includes homeopathic and naturopathic treatments) work: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoporosis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351974

While we're on naturopaths, here is one discussing treatments for osteoporosis: https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/2010-11/naturopathic-approaches-preventing-and-treating-osteoporosis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Wow, Jeff, thank you for looking those up. I owe you. I read all the reports and am really really sorry to learn that protein would not be effective for Bob at this point. I understand among the bean and grain world where there are good meat-alternative protein sources and have incorporated many of those into our diet, but of course I hoped I could boost that with some powder in his orange juice, say. Apparently not.

The osteoporosis article was quite interesting. As a female, like most females I know I've already had bone density tests. But it has never been recommended to my husband. It's just not part of standard care for men. Maybe it should be--any thoughts?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 am

First off, IANAD.

Frailty is common among older people and loss of mineralization is at work in all cases. But it's a matter of what's front and center. For women, the changes in hormones are very obvious and have led to investigation of the follow-on effects. Men have bigger bones in the first place and don't have menopause to put osteoporosis into overdrive.

Sites that provide general health information put it bluntly, if occasionally indirectly:
"Up to 25 per cent of all fractures that occur in people over 50 occur in men."
"20% of people with osteoporosis are men."

Anyway, of course, if you can screen for it, screen for it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:51 am

"Up to 25 per cent of all fractures that occur in people over 50 occur in men."

Because men have ladders. :)

And yeah, I get all that. It's just lately that I've noticed he's starting to walk like a parentheses, and I'm constantly nagging him to stand up straight. I don't just suspect an issue, I see one.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Decrease in the levels of sex hormones (estrogen and testosterone) with increasing age causes changes in calcium metabolism in the bones--less calcium uptake, more calcium mobilization. This can lead to brittle, easily fractured bones (osteoporosis). Low testosterone doesn't have as much impact on this as low estrogen, which is why men are less affected than women. Men tend to have more bone mass to start with, and that may be a factor, too.

Calcium and vitamin D supplements may help, but studies are inconclusive. Protein supplements don't impact calcium metabolism are won't help here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:35 pm

I get it now, Paul, thanks. Of course, I was thinking of protein as being conducive to more general robustness beyond just bone density, but still. I'm surprised his doctor (who's only a little younger than he, and maybe that's the problem) never brings this stuff up.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Exercise, and perhaps protein supplementation to help build muscle mass, can help. Stronger muscles and greater flexibility can help guard against bone fractures, can help minimize the damage when they happen, and can aid in a speedy and more robust recovery.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Ditto, what Paul and Jeff said. Would also add resistance and weight bearing exercise for sure but clear Ca and D supplement with your PCP or with a rheumatologist that specializes if osteoporosis rx and risk reduction.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm surprised his doctor (who's only a little younger than he, and maybe that's the problem) never brings this stuff up.

Doctors begin at "do no harm" so unproven treatments, however culturally-approved they are, won't be on the agenda. (You just have to hope that the underlying Science is correct for what they *do* recommend.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Getting him to exercise is tough. He did walk in here just a bit ago and said, referring to something I suggested earlier this week (regarding walking like a parentheses) about carrying a glass of water around. He's been tilting such that liquids--coffee, water, wine--are sloshing. I told him if he watches a glass of water--when it's level, he's level. Bringing me a glass of water today he realized the truth of that. Realization is the first step, isn't it.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:37 am

I was able to bring my bone density back to the middle of the normal range from very nearly outside the range in the wrong direction. With medical advise I take a Vit d supplement and keep up my calcium with a mix of diet and a ca supplement (the ca also helps prevent cramps in my legs, bonus!)
Caveat, this took some years and a component of this would be due to the normal range for age decreasing, but it still represents an improvement.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Barbara, that's encouraging. I had my first bone density test just a few months ago. And my bone density turned out to be surprisingly good for someone who quit drinking milk at age 4 and disliked most of the rest of the dairy category too. I was quite worried! Apparently the calcium supplements mom had me taking my entire childhood did the job--I'm in normal range. But of course should stay there.

I think for Bob I'm just going to hit him with the protein and calcium and everything else--what he doesn't need, he'll shed. I just don't want to leave anything to chance if it can possibly help him.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:33 pm

Jenise wrote:I think for Bob I'm just going to hit him with the protein and calcium and everything else--what he doesn't need, he'll shed. I just don't want to leave anything to chance if it can possibly help him.

I think that's wise. The only harm the supplements can do is to your wallet.

Have hypothyroidism and low HGH levels been ruled out? These can also cause osteoporosis. And if it's low testosterone due to age, is male HRT an option?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 pm

He's 75, Paul, and apparently no one but me's worried about it. I think his regular GP is next to useless--just maintenance and barely that vs. thinking progressively about doing what we can to augment his present without stuffing him full of testosterone or something.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am

Beating the exercise drum.....whatever the cause of the ( spine posture - thoracic kyphosis ) and osteoporosis is certainly one, the paraspinous muscles stretch and lose contractility. No amount of bone remineralization will restore muscle tone and strength to improve posture . This postural deformity may not be cured by physical therapy but it will definitely help posture and more importantly stability which will reduce fall risk. Equally important to strengthening paraspinous muscles is strengthening all abdominal muscle groups.
Mamma Mia !