Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grating bucket--would you buy?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Grating bucket--would you buy?

by Jenise » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 pm

First off, when I opened the email with the subject title "grating bucket", this isn't at all what I expected to see. More thoughts of mine to follow, but what's your first reaction?

https://store.177milkstreet.com/product ... 3ff50be98c
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Grating bucket--would you buy?

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Not what I imagined but not too far off, either. If I did a lot of grating I might go for it -- it is better than letting little bits fly all over the counter.

What got me about their pitch was the suggestion that it had a greater surface area. Really? It's round. You have a square chunk of cheese--so how much cheese surface is going to be effectively grated in that small barrel, and what's the remaining piece of cheese going to look like? Lots of waste IMO. Box graters are better for the way I do things.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am

I imagined a bucket whose lid was the grating surface so that the grated material dropped into the bucket from the top.
This design clearly does not capture the cheese that flies off from the front of the grater. Neither would the imagined bucket. Those flown off bits are always a pain to clean up unless you place a piece of waxed or parchment paper down first.
When I need a quantity of grated hard cheese more than 1/4 cup I chunk the cheese and use the blade of the Cuisinart food processor. For soft cheeses and smaller quantities I use a box. Finally for cheeses that are served simultaneously or as condiment I put a rotary grater loaded with cheese chunks and serve at table. I have had at least 6-8 rotary graters and none of them are satisfactory - poor leverage, breaking plastic, worn out silicone ring, bad grip, bending metal. Have yet to try the hand held battery powered ones. This is the most used cheese grater in our house. Always thinking about a design that would be better.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:55 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:What got me about their pitch was the suggestion that it had a greater surface area. Really? It's round. You have a square chunk of cheese--so how much cheese surface is going to be effectively grated in that small barrel, and what's the remaining piece of cheese going to look like? Lots of waste IMO. Box graters are better for the way I do things.

This is not my comment. Jenise?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm

I see no advantage over a conventional box grater. Put the box grater on your cutting board, grate the item, lift up the grater, and you've got a nice, neat pile of grated stuff. If you want to keep the stuff inside the grater, just tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom. I also see a disadvantage--the round design makes the grating less efficient.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:What got me about their pitch was the suggestion that it had a greater surface area. Really? It's round. You have a square chunk of cheese--so how much cheese surface is going to be effectively grated in that small barrel, and what's the remaining piece of cheese going to look like? Lots of waste IMO. Box graters are better for the way I do things.

This is not my comment. Jenise?

Oh dear, I accidentally edited you instead of replied to you. Please forgive me and don't delete yourself. You can edit your original comment back in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:46 pm

Oh, you don't get rid of me that easily.

Can I delete Richard again though? That seemed like fun.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:55 pm

:)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I see no advantage over a conventional box grater. Put the box grater on your cutting board, grate the item, lift up the grater, and you've got a nice, neat pile of grated stuff. If you want to keep the stuff inside the grater, just tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom. I also see a disadvantage--the round design makes the grating less efficient.

-Paul W.

The Gospel of Engineering
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm

My box grater by I-forget-who came with a companion polypropylene box on which to grate so you can shred this big pile of cheese, use what you need, pull off the grater and slap on the lid to go straight to storage. I love it to death.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Our box grater came from Laura’s great grandmother’s house. Great grandma got it from her mother.

It’s heavy as all heck. Probably will survive a nuclear explosion.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 am

I've got a box grater up in the red wicker basket of infrequently-used tools. I've got a hand-held one that does most of my work.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Our box grater came from Laura’s great grandmother’s house. Great grandma got it from her mother.

It’s heavy as all heck. Probably will survive a nuclear explosion.

That's fun. I love heirloom tools. Each use resonates.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:01 pm

A box grater by any other name....

You'd have a Dickens of a time improving on the box grater even of you had Grate Expectations!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm

But it would be a bleak house if you didn't bring home something from the old "intertubez" curiosity shop now and then.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Of course Dickens fans would have to have the best of thymes and the worst of thymes......and when he orders a martini in a bar, they always respond 'olive or Twist?