Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fix for Bitter Spinach

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Fix for Bitter Spinach

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:41 am

Wanted to make spanakopita for an outdoor lunch with friends down from the interior of BC and figured we should do a trial batch to see if we remembered how best to make it.

Interestingly, there was a slight bitterness to the first batch we made, noticeable but not really objectionable. We left some overnight and the flavours had blended and the slight bitterness was gone.

When we went to make the next batch for the next day. I thought I'd try something to see if I could avoid any bitterness at all as leaving it overnight would have your nice crisp phyllo pastry going a tad limp.

The sous (Sue?) chef did the dough and put the cooked spinach and feta on it, and then I came in and placed a thin layer of whole basil leaves on top, before the phyllo top layers were applied.

Result - no bitterness at all and a very interesting elusive spicy note from the basil. We sometimes add some dill, but I don't use my favourite addition to other spinach dishes, a good grind of nutmeg, as it isn't traditional, but we will be using the basil next time.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Fix for Bitter Spinach

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 am

Yes, if I have fresh basil in the house, I add it to both sauteed spinach and spinach salads.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Fix for Bitter Spinach

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 am

I was interested to see how little basil you need to mellow the spinach and add that spicy herbal hint.

My only problem posting on basil is an almost irresistible urge to quite Fawlty Towers.

"American guest: ‘Is there anywhere they do French food?’

Basil: ‘Yes, France, I believe. They seem to like it there. And the swim would certainly sharpen your appetite. You’d better hurry, the tide leaves in six minutes.’"