Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What a deal!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

What a deal!

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:55 am

I ran out of yeast, so I went to a restaurant supply store to pick up some. As usual, they had two sizes: 1-lb for $2.99 and 2-lb for $6.29. Guess which one I bought. :?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What a deal!

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:30 am

Hey, buddy, ya got two $10 for a $5 ?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:32 am

My pre-Covid self would say it's obvious, they count on their customers to reach for the larger container presuming it's cheaper without stopping to do the math. But in post-Covid supply times, I kind of wonder if, though the first theory might still be in play, if the l lb pkgs are at pre-lockdown prices and the 2 lb pkgs were marked up one or two steps back in the supply chain.

We want to buy a new mailbox. It comes in three colors. All were $75 at Lowe's, but at Home Depot they're $75, $72 and $63, depending we presume on the prevailing wholesale price the last time they were restocked. Lucky us, our color's $63.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Jenise wrote:We want to buy a new mailbox. It comes in three colors. All were $75 at Lowe's, but at Home Depot they're $75, $72 and $63, depending we presume on the prevailing wholesale price the last time they were restocked. Lucky us, our color's $63.

Heh. I just recently bought two pair of boxer shorts. They also come in about 5 colors. But the green was half off. OK, then, decision made!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Not a big fan of the Trump-supporting Home Depot CEO.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Not a big fan of the Trump-supporting Home Depot CEO.

Go commando for Biden! :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Not a big fan of the Trump-supporting Home Depot CEO.

Ditto; haven't been in there in two years. But this time HD was the only game in town. Lowe's was out of what we wanted (we and our neighbors want matching boxes--we share a post, and apparently he got the last one), and the local indy hardware store didn't carry the brand we need.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Tons of reasons I don't like HD(and try not to shop there). You'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds DT more repugnant than I do. But the calls for a boycott came after one of the co-founders(who retired and left board 15-20 years ago) supported DT's reelection. Calls for boycotts should be precisely targeted. If you know actual info that I'm not privy to, I'm willing to reconsider (though I still don't generally shop at HD).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:29 am

Dale Williams wrote:Tons of reasons I don't like HD(and try not to shop there). You'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds DT more repugnant than I do. But the calls for a boycott came after one of the co-founders(who retired and left board 15-20 years ago) supported DT's reelection. Calls for boycotts should be precisely targeted. If you know actual info that I'm not privy to, I'm willing to reconsider (though I still don't generally shop at HD).

You are correct: Co-founder Bernie Marcus retired in 2002. He, and the money-man behind the HD partnership, Kenneth Langone, were both big-time GOP bankrollers and Trump supporters. Marcus made a big public splash about it in 2019 and a boycott was called then. Langone walked it back after the Jan. 6 insurrection. (Marcus' partner, Blank, did not speak in public.)

Not like the old days. I remember the Coors boycott of the late '70s and early '80s. The founder of that company was even named Adolph! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:22 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Tons of reasons I don't like HD(and try not to shop there). You'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds DT more repugnant than I do. But the calls for a boycott came after one of the co-founders(who retired and left board 15-20 years ago) supported DT's reelection. Calls for boycotts should be precisely targeted. If you know actual info that I'm not privy to, I'm willing to reconsider (though I still don't generally shop at HD).

You are correct: Co-founder Bernie Marcus retired in 2002. He, and the money-man behind the HD partnership, Kenneth Langone, were both big-time GOP bankrollers and Trump supporters. Marcus made a big public splash about it in 2019 and a boycott was called then. Langone walked it back after the Jan. 6 insurrection. (Marcus' partner, Blank, did not speak in public.)

Not like the old days. I remember the Coors boycott of the late '70s and early '80s. The founder of that company was even named Adolph! :mrgreen:

I don't exactly boycott HD, but I seldom shop there. There's a Lowe's close by.

I remember driving cases of Coors (beer water) to Pennsylvania in the '70s. It was like gold back then. A similar thing happened with Rolling Rock, then brewed in PA) back here. I do wish Yuengling was sold here.

OTOH, Abq is well-known for its many breweries: La Cumbre Elevated IPA is the best I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Not a beer drinker, but IIRC Coors was a big deal in WA as it wasn't available down there. Whenever we went racing in Spokane, friends implored us to go to Idaho and pick up some Coors.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:02 pm

Beer from somewhere else is always preferred. When I was in school at U. of Rochester nothing was so good as to run across the border to buy Brador.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:25 pm

When I lived in Minnesota about 30+ years ago, I remember Corona beer being introduced for the first time at a great happy-hour bar/restaurant. When all the yuppies there saw those lime wedges inserted in the bottle necks, they went crazy wild for the beer. It was a sight to see.

Here in New Mexico, Corona is, well, beer. :?