Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hatch Chiles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Hatch Chiles

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I posted about Hatch Chiles in another post but could not find it. I got a call today from the produce dept at Safeway and they told me the Hatch Chiles have arrived. They are prepackaged in 1lb. plus packages in three stages of heat level. This will solve the issue Jenise talked about where they are tossed in barrels or tubs right next to each other, and people tend to mix them up. I am picking some up tomorrow, so will see what I think then. This is the first time I have seen them come in this way. Maybe a Covid thing?
Our local Farmers Market is packaging peppers, cukes, small tomatoes, green beans, summer squash, into packages. I hate this because there are only two of us and I arrive back home with more produce than I need. So, I have experimented with putting a variety of peppers into my homemade pasta sauce which I make every year for freezing. I am getting some excellent results. Cucumbers do well with a little pickling and will last for several days, and make a good hot afternoon snack.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Hatch Chiles

by Barb Downunder » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 am

“Our local Farmers Market is packaging peppers, cukes, small tomatoes, green beans, summer squash, into packages. I hate this because there are only two of us and I arrive back home with more produce than I need. “
I so relate to you, particularly now I’m on my own it’s worse, fortunately I can mostly get fresh produce loose. Bunches of spinach I cook the lot and freeze portions but I don’t want to do much of this, preferring fresh veggies. Meat is a real trial.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:18 am

Yes, the meat is a real trial, however, it does freeze better for a longer time than the produce. I use the Food Saver and it works miracles with meat and cheeses. I have asked the grower at Farmers Market to give me a smaller portion, but I only do it if no one else is around. I do not want to cause him any more work with everyone starting to ask him to open bags and take out a handful.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:30 am

Fresh meat will require some work. Confit, or other preserved (or preserved-style) meats, need less care.

Fresh greens are really hard to keep for long.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:23 pm

Chillies freeze real well, you don't have to do anything to them. Just put them in a plastic box or bag, seal it and put in freezer. Remove chilli(es) when you want to use them, they defrost really quickly.

I grow them, they ripen at the end of summer so I harvest them all, freeze them and use throughout the year till a new crop is ready.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 pm

The chiles I use most often are those little Thai bird's eye chiles (prik kee noo). My supermarket carries both the green and red varieties, but they come in packages of 40+, whereas recipes tend to use them a few at a time. Fortunately, as Peter says, they freeze very well. The only catch is that you need to use them immediately after defrosting. Once defrosted they won't keep, even overnight in the refrigerator.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Peter May wrote:Chillies freeze real well, you don't have to do anything to them. Just put them in a plastic box or bag, seal it and put in freezer. Remove chilli(es) when you want to use them, they defrost really quickly.

I grow them, they ripen at the end of summer so I harvest them all, freeze them and use throughout the year till a new crop is ready.

The big green Hatch chiles aren't something you just use one of. I'll need 3-4 just to dress cheeseburgers or include in an omelet. True Hatch fans will go through 20 lbs a year, so cooking them first and freezing them (complete with the charred flavor from roasting, which is a highly desirable flavor) is necessary. They're not just about heat.

And to Karen, I saw them roasting chiles at a Whole Foods once and passed--they were, in my view, badly done. Overcooked and pretty distressed from being tumbled while overcooked. It's work to do them yourself, but it's sure the best result.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 pm

FWIW, I planted two Big Jim chile plants (my favorite green chile variety, usu. med. heat) on clearance $2 vs $13 each. Curious to see how many chiles I'll get. When I freeze chiles, I roast, peel, and deseed them first so they take up less space. But we're talking about 30-35 lbs., which shrink to four gallon-size freezer bags.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Big Jims are my favorite too, but it's been years since I've been able to know what variety I'm buying. I suspect a lot of the so-called Hatch chiles we're buying are actually coming from Arizona and beyond. I have to buy a few, cook them off, then go back and load up if I liked them or keep looking if I didn't.

I don't peel them, but I pull the seed pods out.. I actually like the look and flavor of charred skin in a stew, for instance, so I keep it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Big Jims are my favorite too, but it's been years since I've been able to know what variety I'm buying. I suspect a lot of the so-called Hatch chiles we're buying are actually coming from Arizona and beyond. I have to buy a few, cook them off, then go back and load up if I liked them or keep looking if I didn't.

I don't peel them, but I pull the seed pods out. I actually like the look and flavor of charred skin in a stew, for instance, so I keep it.

The skins tend to get stuck in my teeth.

The states around us keep trying to steal our chile glory. A year or two ago, Colorado tried to come out with a chile license plate, but we beat them to it. And Texas keeps trying to steal our thunder. Don't ever turn down Chimayo chiles. They're grown in northern NM and some are heirloom varieties. Hatch gets all the press but good chiles are grown throughout NM.

And as I was writing this, a neighbor came over and gave me an enormous amount of tortilla chips, flautas, enchiladas, beans, and rice from an event she hosted today. I thought I'd have to borrow someone's refrigerator, but I squeezed them in. I'll give some away tomorrow, for sure.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:10 am

Isn't Chimayo known more for its red chiles?

Lucky you on the neighbor's gift!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:16 am

Jenise wrote:Isn't Chimayo known more for its red chiles?

Absolutely, but you can get green before they turn red. Chimayo red chile has quite a cult following, and heirloom seeds are available.