Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bacon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Bacon

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:04 pm

This is a product plug, but I am unaffiliated. A few weeks ago on another forum's (that gets razzed here a lot) food board there was a testimonial re the bacon from Benton Farms in Tennesee. I ordered 4 lbs (the minimum), plus a sampler of the country ham and a 4 oz portion of their version of proscuitto. $11 shipping.

The bacon is fabulous, if you like a heavy smoke. At $4.50/lb even if I only ordered the bacon 4 lbs plus shipping is same price as the Schaller & Weber doublesmoked at $7-8. But the country ham warmed my NC soul, so know that I can combine to save on shipping.

The proscuitto is very tasty, but speaks more of Southern country ham than of proscuitto to me.

https://bentonshams.com/order/index.php
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Bacon

by Randy Buckner » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 pm

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am

So latest Saveur comes, and lo and behold an article on Bentons. While I appreciate getting tips (and therefore feel I should give them), it worries me when favored sources get attention in a 6-figure circulation magazine. Will increased popularity mean less attention to quality? Can't really bemoan this one, as Bentons is a recent find.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:01 am

From about 1 hour down the road from me... but I don't ever recall seeing it available in any of our stores here... I guess I'll have to give them a call to see if they have been able to clear their backlog.

Always on the hunt for good bacon.

Thanks,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 am

Dale, a big thank you for this plug. We ordered up a few pounds of the Benton's Smoky Mountain ham and country bacon. Wow! I haven't tasted meat this good since I was a little kid and my granddad had his own smokehouse -- amazing quality at any price.
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Re: Bacon - Mike Conner

by Kim Adams » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Hey Mike - We were in your neck of the woods two weeks back to check in on The Daughter. Visited Bentons but called first due to their web site saying that there was a 5 week wait for bacon but was told that everything is available for walk-in customers. Picked up an 18 month aged whole prosciutto and 5 pounds of bacon. Took lots of pictures.

On our return trip through the Nashville airport, my bag spent a little extra time under the X-ray. When it came out, the security officer said, "Ma'am, is this you bag?" "Yes sir." I said. He then said, "What kinda meat is in that bag?" I proclaimed proudly, "That's pure Tennessee Country Ham!" He smiled, nodded and sent me on my way.

When we got home and cooked up some of the bacon, our house smelled like a hickory smoke house for 2 days. It's very strong. Very good. Thick and perfect. The prosciutto is also very good but carries a little smoke - no surprise. I'm not complaining.

Are you coming back to Michigan anytime soon?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Kim Adams wrote:Hey Mike - We were in your neck of the woods two weeks back to check in on The Daughter. Visited Bentons but called first due to their web site saying that there was a 5 week wait for bacon but was told that everything is available for walk-in customers. Picked up an 18 month aged whole prosciutto and 5 pounds of bacon. Took lots of pictures.

On our return trip through the Nashville airport, my bag spent a little extra time under the X-ray. When it came out, the security officer said, "Ma'am, is this you bag?" "Yes sir." I said. He then said, "What kinda meat is in that bag?" I proclaimed proudly, "That's pure Tennessee Country Ham!" He smiled, nodded and sent me on my way.

When we got home and cooked up some of the bacon, our house smelled like a hickory smoke house for 2 days. It's very strong. Very good. Thick and perfect. The prosciutto is also very good but carries a little smoke - no surprise. I'm not complaining.

Madam! I will happily trade you a bottle or two of ESJ zinfandel for a Tennessee bacon or ham sandwich! You must have traveled right down I-75, and not even a telephone call?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:16 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Kim Adams wrote:Hey Mike - We were in your neck of the woods two weeks back to check in on The Daughter. Visited Bentons but called first due to their web site saying that there was a 5 week wait for bacon but was told that everything is available for walk-in customers. Picked up an 18 month aged whole prosciutto and 5 pounds of bacon. Took lots of pictures.

Madam! I will happily trade you a bottle or two of ESJ zinfandel for a Tennessee bacon or ham sandwich! You must have traveled right down I-75, and not even a telephone call?

Hey Bob, I'll bet you can talk Kim into a deal like that! Those Benton's pork products are killer!

We didn't drive down I-75, we flew into Nashville and drove down to Chattanooga and back. We were on a tight schedule and didn't get to half of what we hoped to do. Sure was nice to hang out with The Daughter tho...

See ya in August!

geo

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:37 pm

geo t. wrote:Hey Bob, I'll bet you can talk Kim into a deal like that! Those Benton's pork products are killer!

We didn't drive down I-75, we flew into Nashville and drove down to Chattanooga and back. We were on a tight schedule and didn't get to half of what we hoped to do. Sure was nice to hang out with The Daughter tho...

See ya in August!

geo

In that case Geo, tell Madam that she is off the hook, and I will still bring the zin. Yes you will see me in August, and I look forward to it. If you think of anything else I can get for you just give me the word.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
geo t. wrote:Hey Bob, I'll bet you can talk Kim into a deal like that! Those Benton's pork products are killer!

See ya in August!

geo

In that case Geo, tell Madam that she is off the hook, and I will still bring the zin. Yes you will see me in August, and I look forward to it. If you think of anything else I can get for you just give me the word.

Will do, Bob; thanks!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey babe, remember walking into that place? The years of smoke that permeated the building just about gagged Rosebud and me at first. That passed quickly though, and it was fascinating to get the mini-tour and take pictures while you bought your meat.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

by Kim Adams » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:41 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

Bob, I think in this particular case, I'd rather trade some grilled specialty off of that Kamado of yours. And I love Steve's wines!

Anyway, tie a rope around that sucker and haul her up to MoCool. :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 am

Cool!

Even though y'all were on a tight schedule, you shoulda called - or e-mailed. If'n I wasn't stuck at the office for some reason, woulda been happy to drive southward from Knoxville just for a quick hug and hello. Choo-choo town is less than 90 minutes from here.... and Benton's is even closer!

Now, I'll definitely have to make the drive down to Benton's.... just need to find a day soon when I'm not stuck at work.

MoCool would be the likeliest time for me to travel north... although this summer our office is switching to another ticketing software company so I suspect I'll be hopping for the next 4-ish months. Hopefully, we'll be fully implemented by MoCool time (and I'll be looking for an excuse to get out of town). If time permits and I make the trip, I'll take orders for folks from Bentons and make direct deliveries... I bet the truck will smell good!

Best wishes to you and that feller you let stay with you...

;-)

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

by Kim Adams » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:03 am

Well, try not to work too hard. Hope you will be able to get away in August. It'd be good to see you with or without the pork. But, just in case, I'll take 5 pounds of bacon wrapped in paper (not the plastic - that costs more) :P

The old man says, "hi!"