Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spicy Chili Crisp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Spicy Chili Crisp

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:58 am

Anyone a fan of Spicy Chili Crisp? I first heard about this amazing concoction a few years ago and went crazy with it. The only issue I had with it was that once the jar was opened, it seemed to leak out of the lid like some kind of pressure had built up inside the jar. I finally had to put it into a plastic bag, but that got a little messy, and being one who hates messes, I finally threw it away out of frustration.
Yesterday, on The Kitchen, Katie Lee made a beautiful dish using eggs, fried in the chili crisp, topped off with her favorite kale in vinegar. I checked my pantry and I have another jar of it, so am making the eggs for breakfast this morning. I do not have kale or spinach on hand right now, so am deleting that part, but may do another tweak. Will see how it goes.
Does anyone else use this and what is your favorite application?
https://www.amazon.com/Spicy-Chili-Chin ... 6016&psc=1
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Spicy Chili Crisp

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:17 pm

Karen, I went through a strong phase with that stuff. A friend gave me a jar, I finished it quickly - mostly using it as a condiment on, well, everything - and then got a second at a nearby Asian grocery. It was funny, I dropped by this shop at an off hour, and onlyl Grandma was on the premises. No English at all, or none she'd admit to. I had no idea where it was, but I gave my best shot as "LAO-GAN-MA" and much to my amazement, her eyes brightened and she ran straight to it. She seemed even happier than I did.

Anyway, I gradually used less of it, and I think about half the jar is still in a back corner of the fridge a year or two later. Probably still perfectly okay.

To answer your question, though, I've never had any problem with the outside getting oily. Sorry, can't help with that. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:36 pm

Same as Robin. Love it, use it occasionally, and no internal combustion. However, I do have some things that are a bit leaky--can't seem to scoop out two teaspoons worth and not drip--and for those I fold a piece of Stretch Tite to make it four-ply and put that between the jar and lid.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Robin, you got the transliteration right. Lao Gan Ma is the official version. It literally translates as "old dry mom" but idiomatically as "godmother". The woman with the sourpuss face on the label is the founder of the company that makes the line of products. There is a whole line of chile-and-peanuts-in-oil preparations, including the Spicy Chili Crisp, fried chili in oil, chili and black beans in oil, and chili with mushroom in oil. They also market tofu in hot oil and something that looks a lot like sambal oolek.

I love the Spicy Chili Crisp and its relatives. I use it as a condiment to the side of grilled dishes or mix in a bit with pasta. Adding a little bit to a dish will give it a spicy zing. But you don't want to use too much--Lao Gan Ma products have a tendency to make everything taste like Lao Gan Ma if you add too much.

If you like Lao Gan Ma, here are a couple of blog posts at The Mala Market.

This is a general article on Lao Gan Ma.

And here is a "mom-style" Sichuan Black Bean Chicken recipe made with a Lao Gan Ma black bean in oil.

-Paul W
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:33 pm

Regarding leaky jars, I once had a jar of one of the Lao Gan Ma chili oil products tip over. I only noticed a few days later when leaked oil had stained the label. The stuff was perfectly OK, but I'm careful to keep the jars standing vertically from now on. You should keep the stuff in the fridge after opening the jar. That prevents any accidental fermentation and gas buildup and keeps it from going rancid.

-Paul W
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:09 pm

Yes, re refrigeration. I don't leave any open jars in the pantry.

Interesting read about Lao Gan Ma. I buy several of their products, including the chili crisp. I'm almost out of my current favorite bean sauce, Lee Kum Kee's spicy Guizhou--a name I didn't understand until I read this article. Thanks for the link, Paul.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:24 pm

[quote="Paul Winalski"]Regarding leaky jars, I once had a jar of one of the Lao Gan Ma chili oil products tip over. I only noticed a few days later when leaked oil had stained the label. The stuff was perfectly OK, but I'm careful to keep the jars standing vertically from now on. You should keep the stuff in the fridge after opening the jar. That prevents any accidental fermentation and gas buildup and keeps it from going rancid.

-Paul W[/quote
Thanks for the info on refrigeration. I cannot read the label so was not sure what to do. I went online to find out and there were split reports, some said it needs no refrigeration and others say it does. So I kept it in my pantry. Doesn't the oil in the jar congeal?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Jenise, I have two pantries, one in my kitchen right next to a work area where I keep peanut butter, extra spices, maple syrup, cereals, most all are products that are opened already. I have a second pantry in the laundry room. Everything in there is still sealed. Makes it handy to have what I need close and easily grabbed.
I found this, not very helpful but does say the no mention of refrigeration on the label.
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2A501DTQ6XVC2
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Yes, the oil in the jar congeals. It melts again as it reaches room temperature. Similar (if not the same thing) as peanut oil. I used to keep opened containers of peanut oil in the pantry. But I found that if kept that way it tends to go rancid, especially if it's filtered oil recycled from deep-frying. Now I keep partially filled containers of peanut oil in the fridge. The peanut oil does go solid and I have to remember to take the container out of the fridge 1/2 hour or so before using to let the oil melt again so it can be poured out. But refrigeration completely solves the rancidity problem. Rancid oil completely ruins a dish, as I discovered the hard way when an entire Chinese dinner I'd cooked for close friends was ruined.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Refrigerate vs. don't refrigerate probably depends a lot on ambient temperature. After my rancid peanut oil experience, I take no chances and refrigerate products such as these.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I agree with Paul. Karen, the respondents to that question don't all agree. I laughed out loud at the first one who said "No. It does not need to be refrigerated...I have had an opened jar on my counter for weeks and there is no difference in taste and it does not spoil or mold...." Weeks! Because it may take months or even 1-2 years for me to finish some of these products, I err on the side of safety and refrigerate them.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes, that sounds right Jenise, I do not use up some of my condiments fast and keep everything else in the fridge. Stands to reason I should keep the chili crisp in there too. Just need to remember to take it out before I need to use it. Have to do the same thing with peanut oil, as well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Yup. It melts fast standing in a bit of hot water.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:11 pm

I love chili crisp, but use a few times a month (when first discovered was probably few times a week!).. Most common way is probably to spice up some dinner leftovers for lunch( chili crisp or kimchee was my go to additive).
I currently have both regular chili crisp and Momofuko "chili crunch" (their version) in fridge. The Peachy Keen (Momofuko) site is a good source for ideas for using chili crisp.(they'll say chili crunch, but it'll work!). Here are a couple we've done:

https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/recipe/ ... ed-onions/
https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/recipe/ ... -tomatoes/

this guide has some use suggestions too
https://www.eater.com/22308176/best-chi ... -essential
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Dale, OMG that chicken and tomato recipe! I'm on it!!!!

Btw, have you found the Momofuko brand superior to others? He's sure hyping it up.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:32 am

I was given the pantry set (shoyu, tamari, 3 seasoned salts, chili "crunch). After trying I found good enough that I have sent a couple times as gifts. The soy sauce and tamarin aren't necessarily "better" than a good brand from a Japanese store (and certainly not the equivalent of the artisanal aged ones), but very good in a deep style. The chili crisp/crunch is also a bit different, not real hot, but complex. While I wasn't so sure re the seasoned salts, I've used quite a bit (not just in PeachyKeen recipes), especially the savory.

When I ran out of the tamari and shoyu, I didn't feel compelled to order more (we have access to a lot of Japanese/Asian stores). But when I get low on the salts I'll probably order another pantry set. And if a local store actually carried the shoyu, tamari, or crunch I'd probably throw in shopping basket.

If doing those recipes w/o Momofuku products, an experienced cook can improvise. The savory would probably add porcini/shiitake powder, maybe a more seaweedy furikake. Spicy might be salt with shichimi togarashi and furikake (or could use Western pepper powder). And the tingly predictably adds Sichuan peppercorn.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:50 am

I agree the chicken and tomato recipe is beautiful. Must get to Farmer's Market this weekend, hopefully the Asians still have tomatoes.
I make Momofuko eggs all the time, was not aware of the website. Thanks for posting. I keep them in the fridge, in the marinade and they save me time when I need to grab a quick breakfast.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Just need to remember to take it out before I need to use it. Have to do the same thing with peanut oil, as well.

With peanut oil you have to pour it out of a narrow bottle opening and so you have take it out of the fridge and let it melt before you can use it. Chili Crisp comes in wide-mouth jars so this isn't necessary--just scoop out what you need directly from the fridge.

-Paul W.