Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Two recipes from a Caribbean dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Two recipes from a Caribbean dinner

by Jenise » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:18 pm

So on Thursday night our booze group did high-end rums, and the hosts made this wonderful marinated chicken. He didn't use two habaneros recommended, but I would. I absolutely loved it and begged for the recipe.

Jamaican Marinated Chicken Thighs

• 10 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 lbs), trim excess fat and skin
• 6 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces*
• 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 2 habanero peppers (or scotch bonnet), stem removed
• 1 1/2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp ground allspice
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions
1. Place chicken pieces in a gallon size resealable bag.
2. Add remaining ingredients to a food processor and plus several times to chop (it should be somewhat coarse). Pour mixture over chicken in bag, seal bag while pressing out excess air then rub marinade over chicken. Let rest in refrigerator all day or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Remove chicken from marinade. Arrange pieces on baking sheet leaving space between them. Bake in preheated oven until cooked through, about 45 - 50 minutes, while broiling during the last few minutes for better browning.

*Can substitute with 1/2 small red onion. [I like the look and taste of the green onions better.]
**Adjust to taste, these are spicy! If you want a milder version try it with 1 jalapeno. Use gloves when working with peppers.

A side dish on the plate were baked thick slices of sweet potato. The following easy, killer sauce had been served with the coconut shrimp appetizer, which we all loved so much we scooped it over the sweet potatoes. Might have been the best part of the whole meal, so I'll include it:

Marmalade Lime Dipping Sauce

Ingredients
• 10 oz jar orange marmalade
• 3 tablespoons brown stone-ground mustard
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 tablespoon (or to taste) ground hot horseradish

Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan
2. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until marmalade melts
3. Remove from heat
4. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 1 week
5. Warm slightly before serving
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Two recipes from a Caribbean dinner

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:39 am

Looks great. I'd have to omit the green onions and the habanero for The Royal Squash, however.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:55 am

Chuck left out the habaneros as well as one of the guests doesn't do heat. He substituted a jalapeno which was too mild to make any measurable difference. I love the flavor of habaneros but would probably substitute habanero-based hot sauce to distribute that flavor more evenly.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Making this tonight, along with a carnival squash and brussels sprouts. I did the squash sweetly (butter, sugar) and the sprouts herby (thyme, juniper) but added a sprinkle of allspice to both to make them simpatico with the chicken.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:24 am

Report: I liked the chicken, though it needed a bit more oomph (no surprise, as I omitted both the scallions and the habaneros). I also did not have enough marination time; just two hours at room temp. But I liked the hints of spicy ginger and cinnamon/allspice that showed up. And crispy skin don't hurt.

Pumpkin said he could take it or leave it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Gotta try this at some point.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Report: I liked the chicken, though it needed a bit more oomph (no surprise, as I omitted both the scallions and the habaneros). I also did not have enough marination time; just two hours at room temp. But I liked the hints of spicy ginger and cinnamon/allspice that showed up. And crispy skin don't hurt.

Pumpkin said he could take it or leave it.

Yes, two hours wasn't enough. What I ate had been marinated since the night before, and had a very saturated thru-flavor.