Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Buttermilked meat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Buttermilked meat?

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 am

I guess this is a 'thing' that I had missed, but I came across a recipe for marinating steaks in buttermilk (plus the usual herbal ingredients).

Now I am familiar with some forms of organic tenderizing - in Hawaii we often used to go whack a papaya off the tree to seed, flatten and top steaks with for a few hours - the papain in it breaks down the meat a bit (as does the similar enzyme from pineapple - bromelain), but I wasn't with the similar use of buttermilk.

Has anyone tried this, and does it work? (I'm not a big fan of drinking buttermilk as I find the acidity unappealing, but if this use works it might be worth considering).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Buttermilked meat?

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Nothing makes better fried chicken than an 8-24 hour soak in buttermilk but, like you, I've not heard of anyone marinating steak this way though I could see it if it's destined for the chicken-fried version. If we're talking about something you'd take to the grill, the soaking would, I'd think, retard the surface's ability to take a sear.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Yeah, and I am a great fan of meat rubs (no, not that kind...) and although whatever you put in with the buttermilk would have some effect, you aren't going to get a dry rub effect. You would with the chicken as you then coat it with breadcrumbs etc. that can include dry elements but what would you do with meat - wash it off, dry it and reapply a dry rub and back in the fridge for awhile? :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:55 pm

With the chicken it wouldn't be a rub, but the flour dredge would be highly seasoned and potentially the buttermilk too (I love it heavily laced with Tabasco sauce). But steak...egads no. Where did you see this btw?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:04 pm

I saw some reference to it elsewhere but this is a page I called up when i googled it.

https://www.framedcooks.com/2014/04/buttermilk-grilled-steak.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Well the result sure looks pretty! And the inclusion of rosemary, black pepper and garlic in the marinade would be perfection. Let's try this.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:15 pm

It's the high acidity of buttermilk that does the tenderizing. In Thai and some other equatorial cuisines lime juice is used the same way as a tenderizer. Lime juice is acidic enough to actually cook the meat if you leave it marinating long enough.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:59 pm

That's the ceviche trick.

I sometimes wonder about these tenderizing tricks: Are they a relic of an older age when the meat supply had a lot more tough cuts in it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I sometimes wonder about these tenderizing tricks: Are they a relic of an older age when the meat supply had a lot more tough cuts in it?

Probably. In fact my first thought reading Bill's initial post was that if you have to tenderize it, you're buying the wrong cut. Did anyone ever use that powdered tenderizer? It was an A-name. Arthurs? Adolf's? Something like that.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:22 pm

Adolph's and no: https://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavor ... tenderizer

Back in the day, Mom did occasionally use Accent: https://accentflavor.com/ Powdered glutamate. :roll:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Never liked the Adolphs - made of Salt, Sugar, Corn Starch (Prevents Caking), and Bromelain (Tenderizer).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Never used it, but was aware of its use at OPH (other people's houses) we visited in childhood.

Accent, or rather MSG, on the other hand, I liked a lot. Still use it from time to time for umami.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I sometimes wonder about these tenderizing tricks: Are they a relic of an older age when the meat supply had a lot more tough cuts in it?

That's certainly the case in Chinese cuisine with beef dishes. Oxen were so valuable as beasts of burden that at one point the Chinese emperor banned the sacrifice of cattle in religious ceremonies and slaughter of cattle as food. Beef only showed up on the menu when the ox was literally too old to run away from the butcher. The meat was tough and so we find that (except in regions where there's nomadic herding) Chinese beef dishes are all either quick stir-fries of meat sliced very thin or braised or steamed dishes cooked for a very long time.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:17 pm

See this for a brief history - including the Mongols putting meat between the horse and their saddle, riding all day and having nicely tenderized meat to cook at the end of the day. That method might be a tad arduous for people today....

https://www.eater.com/2014/11/21/726531 ... o-car-hops
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:06 pm

I have marinated chicken for years in buttermilk. I add Tabasco to taste, also. I use it on boneless, skinless breasts, bone-in thighs, legs, and breasts. It just gives the meat a special texture and taste that is better. First saw it years ago on a Martha Stewart show. Not a fan of hers, at least on the cooking part, but it intrigued me so gave it a try.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Mongols putting meat between the horse and their saddle, riding all day and having nicely tenderized meat to cook at the end of the day

Not all that different from pounding a Swiss steak.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 pm

[quote="Paul Winalski"]It's the high acidity of buttermilk that does the tenderizing. In Thai and some other equatorial cuisines lime juice is used the same way as a tenderizer. Lime juice is acidic enough to actually cook the meat if you leave it marinating long enough.

-Paul W.[/quote\
Your post reminded me of the first time I saw a recipe using lime juice on pork chops in a marinade. I liked the sounds of it so gave it a long soak overnight. We were having company and I wanted to make a good impression. I made an impression all right, the pork was so dry and tough I could not eat it. Our two guests downed it, with a lot of touch cutting and chewing. I had no idea the lime juice cooked the pork, even before we grilled it to death.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Not all that different from pounding a Swiss steak.

-Paul W.

Right, because it presumes you're using rump or another tough cut. Better idea: use sirloin tips!