Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Giblets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Giblets

by John F » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:16 pm

I know this post will make some of you grab your heads and scream epithets at me…. But how often do you use the giblets when roasting a chicken. We are roasting one tonight and I threw them out…. Partly because I don’t know what to do then really.

Thoughts/ideas???
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Giblets

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Usually, you just chop them up and add them to the gravy. But, if you're in the mood for it, the liver and the heart can be prepared in tasty ways. I'd ignore the rest.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:28 pm

If they're decently sized I'll throw them in a gallon ziploc bag in the freezer, to which I later add the rest of the chicken carcass. Then once a year I make demi-glace with all of it. About time, I may do that this weekend.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:08 pm

I give them to the dog next door.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:58 am

Freeze the liver for either making boudin (dirty rice) or perhaps pâté once a year.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:13 pm

"Save the liver!" immediately brought to my mind Dan Aykroyd's Julia Child sketch from Saturday Night Live. :lol:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:29 pm

I usually fry the liver right away after sweating minced shallot in butter seasoned with a hint of garlic and thyme, salt and pepper then deglazed with some Marsala. Just the right size for serving on toast for a snack. Not fond of frozen chicken livers so prefer to use it up quick.
I save all stomachs, hearts and wing tips in a bag in the freezer. Collect a bunch and with a carcass make soup.
I always try to make use of everything but I happen to love the flavor of heart and stomach after its totally tenderized by long cooking. As such they also contribute to a wonderful ragu for polenta or pasta.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:32 pm

I give them to my brother for his fresh dog food. (Don't hear any gasps, yet, John!)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:10 am

Memory from childhood: I was standing in the kitchen of the house next door; I think the lady next door was looking after me while my mother went off to do something or other. There was a saucepan boiling away furiously on the stovetop. Lady-next-door explained that she was cooking the giblets from a freshly-slaughtered fowl because her husband liked them better than the fowl itself.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Matilda, not dissimilar: I have a friend who won't eat foie gras or dark meat turkey because it's so gamey but who considers the fried liver from their Thanksgiving turkey a treat. Does not compute.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:34 pm

We have an embarrassment of options here.- coyotes, eagles, crows, racoons, salmon......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:47 pm

Yesterday I heard a famous chef, when asked about whether they liked liver, answer that he basically isn't "comfortable eating any of the parts that used to have jobs." Made me laugh!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:24 am

any of the parts that used to have jobs

If we think about it, all the parts used to have jobs. Eg, moving the bird around, helping it to flap its wings, and so on. I think he means parts that used to have janitorial functions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:40 pm

Organs, not muscle, IOW. That's what I understood.