Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does Chris Kimball know how to hold a chef knife?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Does Chris Kimball know how to hold a chef knife?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:31 pm

I just ran across a video ad in which Chris Kimball is selling a Henkels Nakiri Japanese knife, and that's okay. But two things surprised me: He spends the first minute or two showing off what he calls "a European-style" chef's knife and argues how useless it is ... and while doing so, spends the entire time holding the knife wrong! :shock: He wraps his hand around the handle rather than pinching the top of the blade for better control. Tell me that I'm not the one who's been doing it wrong ... it really looks weird to me.

https://youtu.be/sTDNZUvioVs
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Does Chris Kimball know how to hold a chef knife?

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:25 am

I'm on your side, Robin. I think you should pinch the top of the blade and wrap a finger or two around the tang and not just hold by the handle.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:30 am

Largely, I hold by the handle, but I also adjust my grip for each task. It's not a fixed bayonet.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:43 am

Same as Jeff. It depends on the job. each hand to each knife and person is different. I usually grasp the back of the knife, but with a smaller and lighter knife, I might not. If I am using my Cleaver, I most definitely get a good pinch grasp on the back of the knife.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:10 pm

I was watching ATK the other day. It was one of the "at home" shows where Dan Souza was cooking something (I forget what). I noticed that he was holding the knife by the handle and not "pinching the spice" as I was always taught.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:25 pm

DanS wrote:I was watching ATK the other day. It was one of the "at home" shows where Dan Souza was cooking something (I forget what). I noticed that he was holding the knife by the handle and not "pinching the spice" as I was always taught.

Maybe it's a new thing? Was Souza using a standard chef knife or something more exotic like a Japanese knife? That might make a difference. (I don't know that, just speculating.)