Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I Bought My Wife an Ebleskiver!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

I Bought My Wife an Ebleskiver!

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:31 pm

I do not have a sweet tooth and so had never been interested in an ebleskiver (also spelled aebleskiver) as they were used almost exclusively to make sweet mini pancakes popular in Denmark.

Then I read a book called Flavors of the Sun, a book of Middle Eastern cooking, which I definitely am interested in. It had a recipe for savoury pancakes (which I love for serving with wine). The author allowed as how a Danish ebelskiver pan was just about ideal for making Middle Eastern dishes that I was interested in.

Given the disinclination on the part of SWMBO to give house room to yet another cooking utensil (and my agreement with Alton Brown about unitaskers) I paused before I remembered that it was the date on which Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC and decided that I could do no less and pushed the 'Buy it Now' button on Amazon. And then like Caesar, I also hit the button for a cookbook of Danish recipes (which do include some savoury dishes).

I am sure I could discern her well concealed enthusiasm for my purchase but will have to demonstrate the wisdom of my decision to buy when it arrives. Does anyone have any suitable recipes (or even know what an ebelskiver is?)

ebelskiver.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: I Bought My Wife an Ebleskiver!

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:25 pm

I know what poffertjes are. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm

I love ableskivers!!!! In texture, they are essentially cake donuts, just round and usually a little crunchier exterior due to the cooking method (which is a plus, IMO). My first experience with them was a savory version served with white (veal) brats at a Danish restaurant in Solvang. Pretty danged delicious. Friends serve them every December 1st at a Norwegian brunch they host on their boat. There's a learning curve involved in turning them to get the desired roundness, but it's fun.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:29 pm

The recipe I want to try is called ejjeh.

It is whisked eggs with onions, parsley, chives, mint, salt, green onions and garlic, Aleppo pepper and black pepper, cooked into little fat discs of flavour and served with wine.

What do you think - my first thought is white wine, but either would probably be interesting.

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:55 pm

They are a tradition in our house for birthday breakfasts, Christmas, New Years and Easter mornings. The aluminum pan belonged to my husband's Norwegian grandmothers and is well worn. After many failures I landed on putting a few drops of clarified butter in the pan which prevents sticking and promotes a nice crisp. There is no fool proof way of turning them but it's surprising how well they turn out even if not rotated fully.
I've only made ones filled with lingonberry jam or applesauce and have found that a recipe with buttermilk, baking soda and moderately stiff egg whites folded into the batter makes the best texture.
I love the savory idea and will try it with some ramp sofrito from last springs foraging.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 pm

I've considered an ebleskiver for years, but never bit. I often see them in thrift stores. They seem to come and go in waves, depending on whether or not an article was published with ebleskiver recipes.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Hey Jenise - what do you think of an ebelskiver and champagne event.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Sign me up!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 pm

Showed Herself the book of recipes that arrived today and she understandably gravitated to the dessert style ebelskivers while I looked at the savoury ones, which I figure ill work much better with wine.

Some examples: rosemary/parmesan, smoked paprika and chimichurri, scallion/curry, mushroom, butternut squash, dill zucchini, gruyere souffle puffs, sage/brown butter with goat cheese, lox and cream cheese, plus a whole range of international recipes.

Imagine sitting down to a glass of wine and being handed a racquetball sized puff with any of the foregoing flavour combinations. Should be interesting.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Follow-up - wife's best friend is now the ebelskiver, although I was called on to do the 'simple' stuff like loading it up and actually cooking them (took a bit of trialing to get the best combination of temperature and time).

We made platter of lemon cream filled ebelskivers today:

ebelskiver1.jpg

ebelskiver2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm

And how many did you eat?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:48 pm

Jenise wrote:And how many did you eat?

A fair few of the non-sweet ones we made as a first trial. Only one or two of the sweet ones she did (shown in picture 2) although not many survived the other two people in attendance.

She used meyer lemons which probably added some flavour intensity to the lemon.

She is now on a hunt for other recipes she wants to try out. I think that the non-sweet (i.e. savoury) versions will be great with wine tasting - hope to do some when you are next up this way in a couple of weeks.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:56 pm

Just ordered one more recipe book for these as SWMBO has really taken to them. Lots of experimentation ahead - with wine of course.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:05 pm

Bill, be sure to check out that video I linked you to on Facebook. The Japanese chef makes a zillion of these at a time in huge pans that must hold like 40 each and he does them simultaneously, turning with chopsticks. Very impressive, and perfect results.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks - I'll go see now (I usually only drop by FB once a week if I remember).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:53 pm

Excellent video. I like takoyaki and order it regularly. The guy sure was adept with the chopsticks. The size of the balls looks to be larger than the usual ebelskiver pockets produce (must have been big octopus..;-)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:42 pm

PS - maybe I'll try some octopus ebelskivers this week.. Would they be Takoskivers or ebelyaki......
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:38 pm

Why stint? "Ebelyaki takoskivers."
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 pm

I shall be making some little balls of bliss for Jenise later this week (not octopus)

Hopefully they will skiver her timbers as well as go well with wines. I shall do the best that I am ebel.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I shall be making some little balls of bliss for Jenise later this week (not octopus).

Crunchy frog? (Recommended by Chocolatier Gumby.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:03 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:I shall be making some little balls of bliss for Jenise later this week (not octopus).

Crunchy frog? (Recommended by Chocolatier Gumby.)

"If you took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy." :mrgreen: No lark's vomit though (recommend foodies with a strong stomach should listen to this skit).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZQQijocRI
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:54 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I shall be making some little balls of bliss for Jenise later this week (not octopus)

[Struggling to imagine the moment in which I tell Bill I like his balls.]
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:21 pm

:shock: :oops:
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:06 pm

I am kicking myself that I didn't buy a cast-iron ebelskiver pan for my mother-in-law when I had the chance. She switched to induction and gave us her old aluminum pan, but the Nordic House store had one that was induction-compatible. Unfortunately, they shut down at the end of the last year. Maybe I will see them again.
Walter Nissen
Next