Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's on your pizza?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What's on your pizza?

by Jenise » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:22 pm

Last night I made pizza and salad for dinner. It was a notable event in that I probably only make pizza twice a year, and yet yesterday after all this time and all the pizzas consumed in over 30 years of marriage we arrived at the conclusion that our favorite of all is the simplest despite all the combinations possible: tomato, cheese, oregano. I am, at heart, a minimalist.

But not just any tomato because I'm fussy in my minimalism. Diced chunks spooned straight from the can (Muir Glen preferred). Mozzarella AND parmesan. Mexican oregano and chile flakes, not as after-thoughts but there in the build. And these go on a crust that's very thin and rigidly crisp when done: 22 minutes at 400F yields perfection.

I remember the first time I had canned tomatoes on a pizza. I was, to be honest, horrified. Nothing in life had prepared me for that, but the friend who did it had had an Italian exchange student staying with them, and this was how he made pizza for them one night so it's what they accepted as authentic-Italian ever after. It didn't taste bad at all, but 1) I was used to the sweeter paste typical of American pizza making. And 2) this friend, who was not much of a cook, indiscriminately scooped out all the juice too, and then added lots of other meat and olives and stuff which kind of swam in the tomato juice, as did the cheese. The result was texturally pretty awful. You had to eat it with a fork because everything slid off when you picked up a piece.

The idea stayed with me though, as somewhere in the last ten years I decided one day to make a pizza and canned diced tomatoes were all I had for the tomato element. I felt it might work if I drained the tomatoes. That was actually a bit too dry but we otherwise loved the simple chunks of tomato, especially for a plain cheese pizza, so now I drain off some of the juice but consider some desirable (especially with Muir Glen whose juice is thicker than, say, Hunts might be) so I leave them messy. But trial and error has led to lightly spraying the raw crust with Spectrum brand olive oil spray before adding the tomatoes. 1 14 ounce can is the perfect quantity for one Trader Joe's pizza dough (the raw bag stuff, which you roll out yourself).

Then on go the cheeses and stuff. But the point of this pizza is that the tomato element isn't just a base, it's the star. Whatever else I do I will always come back to the plain tomato and cheese, which really isn't so plain: it's just that there's no meat, and that's a good thing.

We were over at my brothers for the Oscars two weeks ago and he made pizza. His crusts are softer than mine. His are round, mine are rectangles, about which I have no choice due to the shape of my oven. And his pizzas, like his taste in interior decoration, reflect a more maximalist approach. His belief: everything you can put on there, you should. Sky's the limit! That the center never quite cooks all the way through isn't, for him, the issue it is for me.

Now I do sometimes go back to the wine-y, herby, sweet tomato paste style. For that, as combinations go I also sometimes splurge on pepperoni and pepperoncini. Love the interplay between the greasy sausage and the tart peppers. I also love a light sprinkling of rosemary, black pepper and red onion topped with proscuitto at the end of cooking. And of course--the classic margerita with fresh mozz and basil is never not wonderful.

Really, almost all pizza's good. But I'll never be like my brother. I'll never load my pizza 1" high and to the point where the tomato element becomes inconsequential.

So back to the title: what's on your pizza?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's on your pizza?

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:39 pm

My two favorites:

tomato sauce, cheese, bacon, pepperoni
tomato sauce, cheese, sliced green bell peppers

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:16 pm

I make pizza twice a month or so. Crust is Kenji's version (60% hydration, no knead, overnight room temp rise, then 4-5 days in the fridge before making or freezing for later). Tomato sauce, if any, is Mutti canned cherry tomatoes, puréed, with no additions.

My favourites:
  • 'tarte flambée' (crème fraîche, par-cooked bacon & red onion)
  • Margherita (tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil) - make sure to dry up the cheese a bit
  • marinara (tomato sauce, dried oregano, garlic)
  • al caprino (sun-dried tomatoes, whole confit'd garlic cloves, dollops of chèvre, capers, oregano)
  • shredded mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella, pesto, torn mortadella slices
  • ricotta, lemon zest & juice, garlic, Parmesan, potato slices, fresh rosemary, pancetta
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:04 am

I guess one of the American 'contributions' to pizza was the maximalist approach, but I think most would agree with the minimal approach. A few key ingredients, but even within that, so many options!

I know canned tomatoes are standard in Italy, but I really like the zing of making fresh tomato sauce in summer.

It's hard to go wrong, but my absolute favorite homemade pizza is tomato sauce, cheese, roasted mushrooms and basil. The crisp mushrooms are a great textural balance and helps it go so well with wine. But, so many good options!
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:59 am

When I make pizza at home I use 2 cans of tinned plum tomatoes that I put in a sieve over a wide jug, and dice using a sharp knife. I add chopped garlic, dried herbs and ground pepper which I stir in. much of the liquid drains away.

So my toppings are:
Tomatoes (as above) chopped onion & peppers, sliced mushrooms, anchovies, capers & halved black olives

20200205-pizza-small.png

In pizza restaurants I have a Napoli. Toppings
Tomato, capers, olives anchovies

We used to go frequently to our local branch of Pizza Express ( they introduced the Italian pizza oven to the UK) but when the company was sold the new owners 'modernised' the look, leaving bare floors & walls, and stone table tops so the noise level became so you couldn't talk and we stopped going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:27 am

I don't really care for pizza. I will eat a slice if it is on the table without other options. I don't order it, but if I did, it would be one of Peter's choices. Anchovies, kalamata olives and/or capers a must. Otherwise, I'm not at all interested. Never quite understood the love affair with pizza!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:01 pm

I'm pretty much on the same page as Rahsaan. Gimme NYC or Neapolitan and keep it simple. A classic margherita is generally my first choice. Don't overdo the sauce and cheese, The quality of the crust may be the most important thing. Make good bread and fire the pizza until leopard spots appear on the edges. (And, as is well known, whenever anyone leaves the crusty edges aka bones behind, a kitten dies.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:40 pm

Peter, never any cheese? I don't like too much (over-cheesing is the norm in America), but I do like some!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:40 pm

I'm also in the KISS camp but I have greatly enjoyed a wider range of pizza than is discussed here.

First of all, there is white clam pizza (made of chopped clams, parmesan, parsley, oregano, EVOO). This is a terrible pie if over-baked but it is heavenly when there is some chew left in it.

A local place, now gone, made two Sicilian pies that were amazing: one was kalamata olives and scallion, the other was slices of hard-boiled egg and green peas.

My favorite pie at the coal-oven place near me is the Breakfast Pie: a base of ricotta and basil, topped with two eggs sunny-side up and guanciale.

There is a really excellent pizzeria near my office. They make several sauces and use several kinds of cheese. I've tried all or most of their combos but I stick with the mono-ingredient ones, other than the occasional Jenise's-brother slice of "Suprema": red sauce, cheese, pepperoni, meatball, sausage, green pepper, onion, fresh tomato. Amazingly, when a good pizzaiola is working the ovens, the crust does not sag.

As you might imagine, I don't make pizza at home. I have occasionally bought a dough ball from a pizzeria to make khachapuri, though.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Mine look a lot like Peter's but with cheese. And we make thin whole wheat crusts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:38 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I'm also in the KISS camp but I have greatly enjoyed a wider range of pizza than is discussed here.

First of all, there is white clam pizza (made of chopped clams, parmesan, parsley, oregano, EVOO). This is a terrible pie if over-baked but it is heavenly when there is some chew left in it.

A local place, now gone, made two Sicilian pies that were amazing: one was kalamata olives and scallion, the other was slices of hard-boiled egg and green peas.

My favorite pie at the coal-oven place near me is the Breakfast Pie: a base of ricotta and basil, topped with two eggs sunny-side up and guanciale.

There is a really excellent pizzeria near my office. They make several sauces and use several kinds of cheese. I've tried all or most of their combos but I stick with the mono-ingredient ones, other than the occasional Jenise's-brother slice of "Suprema": red sauce, cheese, pepperoni, meatball, sausage, green pepper, onion, fresh tomato. Amazingly, when a good pizzaiola is working the ovens, the crust does not sag.

As you might imagine, I don't make pizza at home. I have occasionally bought a dough ball from a pizzeria to make khachapuri, though.

There are many good pizzas, indeed, out there. I've never had a clam pizza and am dying to, but would have to go there alone as Bob's allergy to bivalves would make that impossible. I cannot imagine peas and hardboiled eggs, much as I might love either otherwise.

A place in Anchorage made vichysoisse pizza--potato and leek on pesto. A great idea, but much as pesto pizzas taste good it doesn't check the box when I'm jonesing for pizza. I do want the tomato element.

Speaking of pesto, a vegetarian one I've done brings together dessicated zucchini and fontina cheese on pesto--a killer combo. A few years ago I cooked for our yacht club one night when they were gathering committees for planning the next year's events. Maybe 30 in attendance. We kept rolling out new pizzas every 30-40 minutes. This was the salad course, there were two 'meat' course pizzas of potato/ham and chicken/fennel, and finally a dessert pizza involving blue cheese, apricot jam and drizzled balsamic vinegar ended the evening. The amazing part wasn't my menu so much as that we managed to do all that in the clubhouse's three shitty ovens.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:09 am

Margherita is my favorite on a thin crust. I like quality ingredients, but simple. Sometimes, I add a turkey pepperoni that has less fat, and Bruno's Peppers. I do not make my own pizza because it has always been a treat dinner for me when I did not want to cook, and the kids loved going out for pizza after a day of water skiing, or other sport. I love Papa Murphy's vegetarian with a thin crust, as well. Long ago, I used to love the sausage, meat, olives fully loaded type, but no more. Schwan's has a sourdough crust pizza which is very simple, that I purchase now and then. Safeway also has their own brand of pizzas on sale and many folks love them. I tried a couple and they are fine with some added Frozen Pizza Spice from Penzey's and fresh tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:I guess one of the American 'contributions' to pizza was the maximalist approach, but I think most would agree with the minimal approach.

When I lived in Worcester, MA I became very fond of the "pizza with everything" (aka "garbage scow") from Town Pizza in Auburn. Except that I followed the lead of the J. Geils Band and always ordered it with "no anchovies, please". But I always keep it simple when I make pizza myself at home.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:51 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I don't really care for pizza. I will eat a slice if it is on the table without other options. I don't order it, but if I did, it would be one of Peter's choices. Anchovies, kalamata olives and/or capers a must. Otherwise, I'm not at all interested. Never quite understood the love affair with pizza!

Interesting. I have been similar for most of my life. As a child I hated pizza because I hated cheese. And I didn't raise children myself, so never had to resort to pizza to serve fussy kids. Then too I've spent more of my adult life than not avoiding carbs, or living where there wasn't a great pizza place "right down the street" (we've lived here for 20 years, no pizza delivery ever, not even once). For all those reasons pizza has never been a convenience food in our life the way it is for many.

Since the pandemic our neighborhood has figured out how to lure foodtrucks thru our gates and the most frequent visitor of all is a pizza truck. I tried a single slice, it was awful, practically tasteless. Many of my neighbors agree but still they're customers because anything's better than having to cook for yourself. I hope I never become that person.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:59 pm

I love Pizza Margherita, but I have no problem with plain to most combos. I like green chile on pizza. No anchovies for me. And I like pineapple, whether or not you like it. :x So, there. Pfft!

I usually make my own pizza, sometimes bake a frozen pizza, and, rarely, buy a pizza from a pizzeria (we have a great NY-style pizza joint here--slices or whole pies).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:54 pm

Got an Ooni (small one) for Christmas, haven't used much, will do more as spring is here. We usually do a couple of Margheritas, plus one with a meat (soppresata last time) and maybe a veg- broccoli rabe or artichoke (I use grilled artichokes I get from local branch of an Arthur Ave deli), Betsy uses canned tomatoes in 3 seasons, fresh plum July-Sept. I have 12 inch oven, so with thin Neapolitan crust you need multiples

I have made and love Flammekueche (tarte flambe), but haven't done in Ooni yet,

I'm ok with anchovies, but for the sake of all that is good please no pineapple

Jenise, too bad about the truck. Trucks can be good, we have 2 that alternate between local farmers market. Both use wood fired ovens (one is a towed trailer, other is inside truck), The former has a lemon and scamorza pie that is Betsy's favorite.

https://doughnationpizzatruck.com/menu/
https://www.pizzavitale.com/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:02 pm

I have developed a thick skin, over the years, towards "Hawaiian" pizza. I have reached the point where I do not bolt from the room in horror.

That said, I know one interesting use of it: In the past, it sometimes fell to me to order pizza for our Indian teams when they are visiting. They don't know the Italian norms so they treat it like any other food they know. The favorite was pineapple and jalapeno pizza -- sweet and spicy.

Jenise: Yes, it is amazing what people will eat if it is easy to obtain.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:40 am

Jenise wrote:Peter, never any cheese? I don't like too much (over-cheesing is the norm in America), but I do like some!

Never. I cannot abide cheese, even the smell of it make me want to throw up.

Yes, there seems to cheese on everything in the US and now it's happening in the UK. One used to pay extra to have cheese on a hamburger, now it come as standard.

Decades ago we had a pizza from Pizza Hut when it opened in St Albans; I asked for mine without cheese and the toppings were few and miserable. Mrs M's pizza was so covered with cheese the toppings weren't visible. I think cheese is often used to hide paucity of ingredients.

Worse catering (for me) was on an American carrier's over night flight from London to the US. Dinner was salad - with lots of grated cheese mixed through it, lasagne and cheesecake. Breakfast before landing was billed as a hot baguette with ham. Itcame wrapped in foil and had melted cheese soaked into it. Nothing served on the plane was eatable for me.

Now, I like chillies, but I don't think a meal where every dish contains chillies is well balanced. Ditto cheese. I now book Asian Vegetarian meals on flights....
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:05 pm

Interesting comments Peter about the abundance of cheese. I have not noticed that where we live in No. California. Usually, we still have to ask for cheese on a hamburger, and I never see it in salads unless asked for.
That being said, I rarely eat out, as I love to cook and make most of my own food at home and it is sourced from Farmers Market or the organic section of our grocery store, and my garden at home, when I have one.
One trend I am seeing on TV cooking shows is the amount of what they call "fix-ins". One used to make a pot of soup and serve it... now they have all these toppings to put on the soup, cheese, avocado, sour cream, onions, and more. This goes for casseroles, stews, and more. Even some desserts. I saw a cake made on a show last week. It did not stop with just the cake and frosting....other offerings were, whipped cream, berries, sprinkles, chocolate shavings. Good grief.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I have made and love Flammekueche (tarte flambe), but haven't done in Ooni yet,

I'm ok with anchovies, but for the sake of all that is good please no pineapple

Jenise, too bad about the truck. Trucks can be good, we have 2 that alternate between local farmers market. Both use wood fired ovens (one is a towed trailer, other is inside truck), The former has a lemon and scamorza pie that is Betsy's favorite.

https://doughnationpizzatruck.com/menu/
https://www.pizzavitale.com/

I'm envious of your Ooni!

Re pineapple, I couldn't agree with you more--but with one exception. At Nancy Silverton's Pizza Mozza in West L.A. they do a pineapple pizza with, IIRC, white sauce, fresh pineapple, fresh jalapeno slices and proscuitto, the latter of which is added when it comes out of the oven. I wouldn't have gone near it but we were seated at the bar and the bartender ordered pizzas and passed thin slices around gratis to those hanging out there, which was pretty cool. That pizza was so good I ordered one to go! Nothing like the clash of canned pineapple on tomato sauce with cheap ham that is the Hawaiian pizza you and I despise. Btw, the other memorable, game-changer pizza tasted that day was one covered in "long-cooked broccoli". Not only was it a fabulous pizza, it changed my mind about cooking broccoli. Long-cooked (on a cookie sheet in the oven with just EVOO) isn't over-cooked. It sweetens as it dessicates while roasting. Delicious.

Your pizza trucks look fabulous. I don't hate pizza trucks. Just the one that comes to my neighborhood. I was so heartened when I saw them hand-tossing the doughs; problem was that all the topping ingredients were horribly bland/poor quality. Horrendously blah result.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:36 pm

Peter May wrote:Yes, there seems to cheese on everything in the US and now it's happening in the UK. One used to pay extra to have cheese on a hamburger, now it come as standard.

In NYC, the all-cheese-all-the-time thing has happened on hamburgers. I now always have to say, "No cheese," on my burger. It is not so for salad toppings.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Tonight, basil pesto and tomato paste, layer of two kinds of sliced salami, sliced mushrooms, fresh red pepper, black olives, mozza, and possibly anchovies if SWMBO isn't watching closely. Thought of artichoke hearts but couldn't find them.

With a 1995 Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva Il Picchio.

pizza1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:29 am

That looks lovely but isn't that going to be kinda wet (big slices of tomato weeping) and greasy (two kinds of meat oozing)?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:35 am

The tomatoes are small thinly sliced Romas. Perhaps you though they were bigger because I nested each one inside a ring of red pepper? The salamis were sliced on a deli slicer not by hand so don't add as much fat as hand sliced would have.
Next