Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's on your pizza?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: What's on your pizza?

by Christina Georgina » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am

Until I went to college in Chicago in the early 70’s where deep dish Pizzeria Uno was the thing I had only ever had my grandmother’s and mother’s pizza. Born in a remote mountainous region of Campania, Italy theirs was a less is more pizza almost identical to what Jenise describes.
When I announce an invitation for pizza I am invariably asked for topping choices and get very skeptical and wary looks when I say nothing other than tomatoes and cheese.
I use partially drained finely diced canned tomatoes to which I add a bit of grated garlic, a splooch of olive oil and a tiny pinch of dried oregano. A few drops of red wine vinegar to brighten up the tomatoes if needed. As Jenise notes, the tomatoes are the star so, piano, piano on the garlic and oregano and vinegar. I let that marry a short while during dough shaping. After spreading what most people think is not enough sauce I add a thin snow of pecorino ( most often used cheese in the village) and a quick drizzle of olive oil depending on consistency of sauce. Pecorino is salty but depending on tomatoes, taste for salt. A few bits of basil when it comes out of oven or if looking for something more substantial some hand fulls of arugula.
And NOW I’m hungry for pizza!!!!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Bill, looks purdy. Wow how thin on your crust. That's a no-yeast dough, right?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, looks purdy. Wow how thin on your crust. That's a no-yeast dough, right?

Correct - very thin but tough dough. For me pizza is all about topping not what it sits on - things like cheese filled crusts are an obscenity - sales gimmicks thought up at the risk of customers' health. My crust is similar to Chicago style - rolled not tossed (and I can do both as I worked part of my way through school making the tossed sort).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:27 am

Jenise wrote:...it changed my mind about cooking broccoli. Long-cooked (on a cookie sheet in the oven with just EVOO) isn't over-cooked. It sweetens as it dessicates while roasting. Delicious..

The crispy edges from roasting broccoli is also a plus. Although broccolini is even better for that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Agreed, broccolini is the best. Had it for dinner last night in fact.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:54 am

We each had a slice of Costco pepperoni pizza while we were there. Good price, but average, not great. Interestingly, the pepperoni style has fewer calories than the plain version.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:57 am

Costco pizza sucks. At ours, the eating area for food also sucks. I'm amazed how many people consider it a treat to eat at Costco while there, sitting at those perpetually dirty tables with all those people staring at you as they leave the checkout stands and head for the exit. I would find the whole experience disturbing. That said, Canadian Costcos offer (or did, only had it once) a hot Montreal beef sandwich on a grainy roll that's actually pretty good and I would recommend it. Just don't eat inside the store. :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:59 am

I agree that Costco's pizza is nothing to write home about. But when they had a (Polish?) sausage on a bun with a free drink for $1.50, I would occasionally order one of those. I liked them, but ate them rarely because of the carbs. Then Costco got rid of them and the hot dog on a bun persevered. I tried one, and it's the last time. I can't say the same things about the seating area in our Costco, though.

Our one pretty authentic NY-style pizza joint is located some miles from us. I'm glad because I might weigh 400 lbs if it were nearby. If I happen to drive by it, there's always a battle of wills in my head. Luckily, 99% of the time I just drive by. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:19 pm

I live in NYC with good pizza - and even great pizza - always available. I set a limit of once/week.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Jeff, you DO live in pizza heaven. I'd have to set limits too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:22 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I live in NYC with good pizza - and even great pizza - always available. I set a limit of once/week.

Have you ever tried Di Fara's pizza in Brooklyn?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:20 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:I live in NYC with good pizza - and even great pizza - always available. I set a limit of once/week.

I have not. They are far in a direction that I rarely, if ever, go.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:57 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:

I have not. They are far in a direction that I rarely, if ever, go.

So many options.

The era is over as Domenico DeMarco passed away last month. I suppose the shop will continue, and we can see how much of the magic was him.

I only went once, maybe 20 years ago, and it was certainly good. But there are so many options and I think the lines have increased a lot since then.
Previous