Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Raw Lasagna

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Raw Lasagna

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:14 pm

I just bought another jar of the DelCarlo semi-dried cherry tomatoes, Jenise spoke of last week. They are truly addictive for us tomato crazy people. I purchased from a company called Olive Oil Lovers, and found two other products I had to have. So, I went looking for ways to use the semi dried tomatoes and came across this recipe for a raw lasagna. The beautiful photo is what pulled me in, see what you think.
https://www.finedininglovers.com/recipe ... an-lasagna
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Raw Lasagna

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 pm

I saw raw lasagna and was imagining very crunchy pasta. That sounds interesting, though I would have probably called it a napoleon or maybe a tian.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:24 am

Karen that pic certainly looks good.
I’m not crazy about the recipe layout though,. The ingredients are not listed sensibly. For eases of use they really should be in obvious groups for the particular layer and in order as they appear in the method. I know picky, picky: :lol: would be difficult for a novice cook to get the desired result.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:50 am

I agree with Dale and Barb’s points. The picture is nice but the dish doesn’t appeal to me at all. One attempt with a fork or knife will send the pile collapsing in ooze.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:27 am

Dish did not appeal to me either as far as making it. I had never heard of raw lasagna, but then I am not into eating that type of food. Loved the photo though and was probably done that way just for the looks. I once saw a program on how the food stylists stage the photos, and was shocked as much of what they do actually makes the food not edible. Not sure if those techniques are still being used.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 07, 2022 1:52 pm

In this case, the word 'lasagna' should be in airquotes. :) As Dale says, without a carb layer it isn't. It's just a molded dish, however pretty, and the recipe as Barb says is daft to follow. In defense of it, though, I remember seeing that a dish just like this was the big deal dish (the one you hoped to get there earlier enough to order before they ran out) at a hit New York raw food/celebrity hang-out restaurant that was a very big deal until the owner took off and left her employees hanging (a recent documentary was made about that).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov