Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

To the memory of Cynthia Wenslow

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

To the memory of Cynthia Wenslow

by Jenise » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:37 pm

We have learned that a once vital part of this forum, Cynthia Wenslow, passed away last week due to cancer. In her honor, I present a fantastic recipe for a celery root and potato gratin that she once shared.

We adapted this recipe from David Rosengarten’s “Dean & DeLuca Cookbook.” Rosengarten is the Eric Clapton of the kitchen. His wine reviews are pretty damned good, too. Our version of this dish is a bit richer than the original, as if that were needed. The Raclette gives this a neat funky quality that matches better with wine.

2 lbs celery root, peeled and cubed
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 c cream
1/2 c butter
1 tsp saffron
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 c Gruyere, grated
1 c Raclette, grated
Salt and pepper
1/2 c Italian parsley, chopped

Boil the celery root and potatoes separately in salted water until each is soft. Strain and set aside.

Heat the cream until it boils, then stir in the butter, saffron, and garlic. Reduce the heat, then simmer for 5 minutes until the saffron is extracted and the mixture slightly thickened. Set aside.

Puree the celery root (Rosengarten suggests a food processor; I prefer a hand-held Braun puree thingamabob), while gradually adding the cream sauce. Mash the potatoes coarsely, or use a ricer if you want a smoother texture. Combine the potato, celery root, and one cup of the Gruyere; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spread the mixture in a greased oven-proof dish, top with the remaining cheese and the parsley, then bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until the top is browned.

Our favorite wine match is a non-oaked sauvignon blanc like a good sancerre, though a gruner veltliner would also be terrific. Acidity and a herbal/vegetal character is a plus
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: To the memory of Cynthia Wenslow

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:43 pm

So sorry to hear we've lost the Pizza Princess. I enjoyed her company in this forum.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: To the memory of Cynthia Wenslow

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:52 am

So sorry to learn of this. Thank you for honoring her. I remember her cheeky, funny comments and wonderful palate. My condolences to her family and friends.
Mamma Mia !