Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rice, potatoes and noodles, but why not bread?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Rice, potatoes and noodles, but why not bread?

by Jenise » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:08 pm

Earlier this week I made chicken and dumplings. Afterward, didn't care much for the dumplings so discarded them, then augmented the remaining chicken and gravy with potatoes, carrots and peas to make a stew. Today the final serving of that stew was Bob's lunch, draped over a toasted and trimmed slice of sourdough bread which I called, in the French tradition, a 'crouton'.

Bob was amused by the word 'crouton'. Yes yes, I commented, most Americans think those are only for salad. To which Bob added, "and you buy them in a box at the market".

He's so right and it got me started on the whole idea of bread as a platform for saucey meats. I first encountered it when I was a kid lunching with a friend in a local department store's cafe. It was thin slices of well done roast beef in a gravy that came, no doubt, from a powdered mix, over plain white sandwich bread. Very midwestern and three things I didn't like at all (at home I eschewed all gravy and well done beef) yet I liked this concoction very much, industrial though it was.

A decade or two would pass before dining at a so-called French restaurant in Southern Californai with my father who insisted we both have the "Open-faced Steak Sandwich", a grilled strip steak on a thick slice of garlic toast. Of course the French would call that a crouton but Americans in the 'burbs don't understand bread with meat without the word 'sandwich', so there it was, even if you couldn't pick it up and eat it with your hands.

It's a shame, I said, that Americans don't consider bread a fourth starch, other than as a mop, when considering rice, potatoes and noodles for that line of duty.

And then not two hours later, here I am reading a recipe for a garlic/beef/cream pan saute, to which the author, one Jessica Formicola whoever she is, adds: "Tender top sirloin and fresh herbs work beautifully with the garlic, which is gently stir-fried to enhance the flavor without being overpowering. The traditional accompaniment is mashed potatoes, but pasta or rice are also excellent choices, as is a slice of crusty bread to sop up every bit of the sauce."

PROVES MY POINT. Bread on the side in addition to, but not bread instead.

Am I the only one here who uses bread as the platform in a main dish?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Rice, potatoes and noodles, but why not bread?

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 pm

No. I occasionally make creamed eggs on toast, SOS, eggs benedict, ham and veges w/bechamel sauce on toast, and probably others I can't think of.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:04 am

We will use bread as our starch, absolutely. Good toast not only soaks up good juices/sauces but also brings crunch to the plate.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:24 am

Yes, in fact today, I am making my wonderful roast chicken sitting on a bed of San Francisco Sourdough Baguette. Years ago one of my favorite things to eat at a restaurant was some sort of beef and gravy with two slices of white bread to soak up all the juice. It was a standard dish in many restaurants. Never made it at home though.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:07 am

Jenise wrote: Am I the only one here who uses bread as part of a main dish?

\no, we have a french stick with ratatouille, and a hunk of granary bread with #Greek# benas, and rasoted tomatoes on slices of toast. and of course Yorkshire pudding with roast beef :)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:56 pm

The best bread platform meals I’ve had were Michael Chiarello’s wood oven roasted crab at Tra Vigne and the iconic roast chicken bread salad at Zuni Cafe when Judy was still living.
My best effort is a Peruvian style spatchcocked chicken roasted on top of a thickish slice of Pane Giallo, an Italian bread made with a sourdough starter, durum flour and polenta.
Mamma Mia !