Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Looking for Eggzact Data

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Looking for Eggzact Data

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:08 pm

I was in a conversation awhile ago about whether the regular yellow yolk eggs taste any different than the darker orange yolk eggs.. Thought I'd ask for opinions here.

I tend to think that there is a small difference in taste in favour of orange, but that could be wishful thinking because I like the appearance more.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Looking for Eggzact Data

by Jenise » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:39 pm

Not much of an egg-eater here, as you know. Scrambled or hard-boiled only, and the occasions are few and far between. But I notice a difference *and* I prefer the lighter yolks because of the milder, less-rich result. Bob, of course, leans the other direction. And green eggs are his favorite; as I've said here many times, I'll fry him two eggs, one brown or white and one green, and only I know which is which. Asked if he notes a difference, on only one occasion ever did he not select the green egg. He says they're richer, and no way could he nail that 99 times out of 100 and not be right.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Does he like green eggs with ham? :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgu_1Q3uCpk
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:09 am

Does he like green eggs and ham? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ8vebC2iBw

I've also seen it done the Molecular way, e.g., start with a spherical solid of pureed spinach....
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:41 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Does he like green eggs with ham?

Ever since I was a kid and read the Seuss book for the first time, I've been fascinated that, based on the illustrations, the "green" applied both to the eggs and the ham.

Green ham puts me in mind of the scene from the movie The Odd Couple, where Oscar is serving refreshments to the poker game he's hosting:

"Want a sandwich?"
"What kind have you got?"
"I have green sandwiches and brown sandwiches."
"What's the green?"
"It's either very old meat or very new cheese."
"I'll take the brown."

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:19 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Does he like green eggs with ham?

Ever since I was a kid and read the Seuss book for the first time, I've been fascinated that, based on the illustrations, the "green" applied both to the eggs and the ham.

Green ham puts me in mind of the scene from the movie The Odd Couple, where Oscar is serving refreshments to the poker game he's hosting:

"Want a sandwich?"
"What kind have you got?"
"I have green sandwiches and brown sandwiches."
"What's the green?"
"It's either very old meat or very new cheese."
"I'll take the brown."

-Paul W.

Great dialog! Now there's a movie I wouldn't mind seeing again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:50 am

I buy eggs from the Farmer's Market, and they have a very deep color of yellow. I prefer them over the light yellow, they are richer and much better in baking. My first certified pet therapy dog had an allergy and had to eat a special type of raw food. I offered him his first cooked egg in his food one time and he gobbled it up. The next time, it was a store bought egg, and he would not touch it. I tested this several times and each time he turned up his nose at a store bought egg. Dogs have such a keen sense of smell and I always wondered what was in the store bought egg that was objectionable to him.