Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Oh no, Martha's opening a restaurant

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Oh no, Martha's opening a restaurant

by Jenise » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:03 pm

It's styled after the neutral tones in the dining rooom of her farmhouse in Bedford New York, and located at The Paris Hotel in Las Vegas--can you imagine a better fit. [snicker]

Called The Bedford, it opens this weekend and it "aims to offer guests an authentic glimpse into how she entertains at home".

So here are the parts of the press release that made me guffaw out loud. The Bedford will prioritize local sourcing for the menu, which includes a classic nicoise salad with olive oil-packed tuna and vermouth-dressed potatoes and a starter of oysters Rockefeller with spinach and watercress. Yes! Nothing says 'local' like tuna and oysters in the middle of the Nevada desert.

And another: A whole, roast herb chicken will be carved tableside, and Martha’s smashed baked potato with creme fraiche is also smashed right at the table. Ethel, can you imagine that, smashed right at the table!!!! What a spectacle!

:roll:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Oh no, Martha's opening a restaurant

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:46 pm

A girl's gotta eat.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:12 am

Jenise wrote:So here are the parts of the press release that made me guffaw out loud. The Bedford will prioritize local sourcing for the menu, which includes a classic nicoise salad with olive oil-packed tuna and vermouth-dressed potatoes and a starter of oysters Rockefeller with spinach and watercress. Yes! Nothing says 'local' like tuna and oysters in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Well, it does say local sourcing. I'm sure the lawyer could defend that as purchasing the tuna and oysters from local businesses! Yet one more reason why I detest marketing speak!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:57 am

Going to compete with Giada's?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:46 pm

Yup. Maybe Paula Deen will come back from the dead and open a restaurant there, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, Paula Deen is still alive.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:54 am

Yes. Paula Dean is still alive. Probably not living the life she would like, but still kicking nonetheless.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Yup. Maybe Paula Deen will come back from the dead and open a restaurant there, too.

Probably out shopping for a black jockey statue for the entry as we speak!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Unfortunately, Paula Deen is still alive.

Oh, I did know that. But her career is muerto.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:49 pm

No kidding. Was it telling children to eat cheesecake for breakfast, the black-face photos, the racial slurs, or just that down-home old-fashioned racism that did her in, do you think?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:04 am

Probably, all of it. It seems she was not a very nice person, and a victim of not so nice media.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:51 am

We visited Savannah shortly after her big take-down and talked a local restauranteur about the situation. I thought they'd be protective of her but instead was surprised to learn that she was rather unpopular among her peers. The whole celebrity thing went to her head.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:43 am

Read a very long article about The Bedford yesterday, WOW, what a project to replicate her house and its rooms into a restaurant. Not sure why one would do that, but Martha knows her business, the photos of her and the restaurant were interesting. Lots of fuss. I tend to like things simple and uncluttered, but I'm sure it will be a success for her.