Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Raw Deal?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

A Raw Deal?

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:08 pm

I am never sure whether to post food and wine matching in wine or here, but here goes.

I am doing a dinner shortly, featuring some deep celar dives and am working on food and wine matching for it. The only one giving me pause for thought is a scallop and prawn ceviche as a starter. I could go conventional with something like a Sancerre, or maybe a Chablis or Pouilly Fuisse, but I happen to like Riesling matched with seafood so decided to go the road less travelled.

I discounted having anything but European give the origin of the other wines to be poured, and German wouldn't IMHO be a very good match as the RS in even a Kabinett might clash (a Trocken maybe but I don't cellar any) so I decided to go French Alsatian Grand Cru, and pretty dry.

Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: A Raw Deal?

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:35 pm

Not Albariño or Txakoli?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:05 pm

Sadly, I only have domestic Albarino in the cellar!

And I find matching dry Riesling with food like that a challenge. Jenise will no doubt report on the success or lack thereof in due course!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:26 pm

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to which dry white to use. Subtle differences in the other ingredients in your ceviche might tip the scales toward one wine or the other if there were more than one wine available, but in the end what's going to matter is: what do you like?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:03 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Sadly, I only have domestic Albarino in the cellar!

And I find matching dry Riesling with food like that a challenge. Jenise will no doubt report on the success or lack thereof in due course!

I think ceviche is all about the acids so you need a wine that is going to be OK with that. I would choose something with strong acids, hence my suggestions. It's also plausible to look for something from a seafood-friendly place -- Liguria, Greece maybe -- or you could skip it and start the pairings with the next course. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:13 pm

I hear you!
I'll take a shot with this combination and cross my fingers - and will tell you afterward if I think you were right.

I had thought of using 2016 Montalto Vineyards Chardonnay Single Vineyard Tuerong Block or a 2015 Soumah Chardonnay but I don't think that we drink enough Riesling with food, so.....