Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thanksgiving in White homes vs. Black homes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Thanksgiving in White homes vs. Black homes

by Jenise » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:05 pm

A friend of mine, who is bi-racial (white mom, black dad) and now a vegan, posted this on Facebook so no race bias intended here! She said: "It's so true!"

WHITE PEOPLE’S THANKSGIVING DINNER 5pm- 7pm
Menu:
Roasted Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce (w/whole cranberries in it)
Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Carrot Soufflé
Rolls
Congealed Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Sangria
Lemon Tea
Total Amount Of Attendants: 4-10 people
(Not including dogs and cats that sit at the table)
------------------------------------------------

BLACK PEOPLE’S THANKSGIVING DINNER - 2pm UNTIL Sunday 9pm
Menu:
Smoked Turkey
Baked Turkey
Fried Turkey
Fried Chicken
Catfish
Roast Beef
Chitterlings
Smoked Ham
Honey Baked Ham
Country Ham
Ribs (Beef & Pork)
Dressing (w/ Turkey baked in it)
Giblet Gravy
Jellied Canned Cranberry Sauce
Turnip Greens (w/salt pork)
Collard Greens (w/hamhocks)
Mustard Greens (w/salt pork & ham hocks)
Mixed Greens (w/smoked turkey)
Boiled Okra
Fried Okra
Cabbage
Green Beans
Baked Mac n Cheese
Black Eyed Peas
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Candied Yams
Potato Salad
Tuna Salad
Tossed Salad
Pasta Salad
Spaghetti
Lasagna
Shrimp
Crab Legs
Fettuccine Alfredo
Gumbo
Deviled Eggs
Rotel Cheese Dip
Corn Muffins
Hot Water Cornbread
Dinner Rolls
Butter Rolls
Sweet Potato Pie
King's Hawaiian Savory Butter Rolls
All Of The Sold Out Patty Labelle Pies
Pecan Pie
Egg Pie
Chess Pie
Chocolate Pie
Peach Cobbler
Punch Bowl Cake
Banana Pudding
Lemon Cake
Pound Cake
Red Velvet Cake
Cheesecake
German Chocolate Cake
Caramel Cake
Yellow Cake w/ Chocolate Frosting
Carrot Cake
Sock-It-To-Me Cake
Fry Bread
Enchiladas
Strudel
Pot Roast
Popcorn shrimp
Shrimp kabob
Fried shrimp
Pineapple shrimp
Shrimp and grits
Shrimp and gravy
Birthday Cake
Bean Pies
Little Debbie's
Pot Pies
Dirty Rice
Pig Feet
Hog Maws
Cotto Salami
Jalapeño Poppers
Cottage Cheese
Old Halloween candy
Egg Foo Yung
Snipe
Trout
Vienna Sausage
Potted meats
Saltine crackers
Sardines
Ramen noodles
Taco salad
Salisbury steak
Hot pockets
Pickles
Frito Pies
Watermelon
Hot Dog Casserole
Pork Rinds
Broccoli & Cheese Casserole
Spaghetti
Black Licorice
Hamburger Helper
Chocolate Covered Raisins
Hot Cheetos
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Fondant
Ranch Style Beans
Lil Smokies
Kool-Aid
Cases of Chek drinks
Sweet Tea
Lemonade
Egg Nog
Seagram's Gin
E&J
Crown Royal
Hennessy
D'usse
Patron
Ciroc
Bud Ice
Bud Light
Wine coolers
Total Amount Of Attendants: Unlimited. Ex's and new boo/bae's are welcome, as long as they know how to act. And there will be an 18-minute prayer over the food by the eldest relative present unless the pastor is there
ABSOLUTELY NO DOGS OR CATS IN OR NEAR THE KITCHEN OR DINING ROOM!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Thanksgiving in White homes vs. Black homes

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:11 am

That's hysterical!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 pm

In the beginning I was going to say that so many of these jokes (funny as they are) are really southern culture vs. midwestern culture. But this one broke new ground with the endless list!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:In the beginning I was going to say that so many of these jokes (funny as they are) are really southern culture vs. midwestern culture. But this one broke new ground with the endless list!!

I had that thought too, but then reasoned that the OP, Laura, grew up in Long Beach, California and I grew up only 20 miles from there. The white family list, right down to the 'congealed salad' accurately describes pretty much to a T the Thanksgiving dinners of my California childhood and, though this joke exaggerates greatly, the extra bountiful and meaty Thanksgiving dinner I went to once with a black boyfriend (turkey and ribs, plus many other southern barbecue elements).

I'm thinking that many generations later than the initial migration to the west coast, these traditions, wherever they came from, were obviously ingrained in our different families long past the point where we identified, if ever, with their origins. My family certainly didn't consider itself midwestern.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:50 pm

I can't believe neither group serves decent wines with their repast. Who's drinking all that Gewürztraminer at Thanksgiving, then? Asians?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:06 pm

Jenise wrote: Many generations later than the initial migration to the west coast, these traditions, wherever they came from, were obviously ingrained in our different families long past the point where we identified, if ever, with their origins. My family certainly didn't consider itself midwestern.

Sure. Lots of movement in the country, so 'regional' cultures probably less coherent than they were in Medieval times (admittedly an extreme comparison).

I still think black vs. white culture is usually a gross oversimplification that obscures the more important regional/socio-economic status differences. But none of that social science deconstruction needs to get in the way of a good joke! And it's certainly a joke genre that has much to give...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:43 pm

Tom NJ wrote:I can't believe neither group serves decent wines with their repast. Who's drinking all that Gewürztraminer at Thanksgiving, then? Asians?

Nobody serves decent wine with Thanksgiving. Historically, no one had good wines.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I still think black vs. white culture is usually a gross oversimplification that obscures the more important regional/socio-economic status differences.

No doubt. Perhaps especially in California.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:13 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Nobody serves decent wine with Thanksgiving. Historically, no one had good wines.

Yeah, well, historically there was no butter, no wheat flour, no pumpkin pie, no cranberry sauce, no white or sweet potatoes, at the first feast either. But here we are. :lol:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Wow, that is quite the list for both. I did Thanksgiving dinner for many years for our family, and was never happy with it until everything was EXCELLENT. I kept a folder on each recipe and what I thought about it. Family always loved it all, but not me. It also had to be easier. I finally nailed all the dishes, learned how to do everything ahead, except the turkey so that on Thanksgiving Day I could sit with family and get caught up. We had turkey, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, fresh cranberries, a fresh green bean dish my family loved. No appetizers, dessert was simple, pumpkin pie with homemade whip cream. Our children are very careful with their diets, especially daughter in laws. They like healthy food and do not overeat. Eldest son, who is a wine guru always brought fabulous wines for us to drink. I hear a lot of complaints from friends about how they dislike Thanksgiving because of all the food they have to make. I do not recall those complaints years ago. Oh, and NO we did not do biscuits....but depending on who was coming, I sometimes had a green salad, usually with fresh orange, and avocado or grapefruit.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:08 pm

I hope a black family moves into the house for sale near us, so I can weasel an invite to their Thanksgiving.

BTW, you forgot the requisite marshmallows on the sweet potatoes >gag<. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:20 pm

Talking about sweet potatoes, I love them baked, and the occasional fries. I particularly love a white sweet potato that a small local market has in stock for a very short time. I have seen it called Asian Sweet Potato and Japanese Sweet potato. One year I was asked to bring a sweet potato casserole to a friends Thanksgiving dinner. I had never made a casserole out of them, had no clue which type was best. My heart and my love was not in it either. I brought a dish hoping it would taste better than when I tasted it. Nope, it was awful. What did I learn? Do not be afraid to say NO when someone asks you to bring a dish your heart is not into, be ready for another suggestion.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:20 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I hope a black family moves into the house for sale near us, so I can weasel an invite to their Thanksgiving.

BTW, you forgot the requisite marshmallows on the sweet potatoes >gag<. :mrgreen:

I have never seen marshmallows on the sweet potatoes at a black family dinner. Yams are always candied (plenty of butter and sugar).
Jenise, girl, you nailed it!!! Especially the prayer. I've even had my sister (who lives in Maryland) call in about the time for the family prayer so that she can be part of the ceremony. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I hope a black family moves into the house for sale near us, so I can weasel an invite to their Thanksgiving.

I have never seen marshmallows on the sweet potatoes at a black family dinner. Yams are always candied (plenty of butter and sugar).

Well, unfortunately, some white folks use marshmallows. Detestable IMO. Curious: are you referring to genuine yams (rather difficult to find in this country) or a variety of sweet potato? They're totally different tubers. I know supermarkets frequently call sweet potatoes "yams."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Yeah, my lily white grandmother, who always brought the yams, was definitely into the marshmallow thing. HATED THAT DISH.

Something I sometimes do for T-day, though? Layered in a souffle dish, slices apples and yams (preferably garnet) with a cinnamon-nutmeg butter (but no sugar) drizzled over and baked. Really good!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:35 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Well, unfortunately, some white folks use marshmallows. Detestable IMO. Curious: are you referring to genuine yams (rather difficult to find in this country) or a variety of sweet potato? They're totally different tubers. I know supermarkets frequently call sweet potatoes "yams."

I know. Red Garnet sweet potatoes. But we've always called them yams. Yeah, I do believe the marshmallows are a cultural difference. I truly have never seen that at a black dinner gathering. But, I have seen them at a few potlucks. You're right, they have always been brought by someone of the Caucasian race. But, that doesn't mean some of us don't fix them that way. I just happen not to know anyone who does. Huh! need to think about that.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:46 pm

Posted this list to my family on our morning chat. Everybody cracked up and agreed that it was spot-on accurate. I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw Kool-Aid on the list. YES, I always prepare a pitcher of Kool-Aid for the kids. As a matter of fact, I have that 1950's pitcher that I carefully wrapped and brought from my grandmother's house after her death. Already got a few members of the family with dibs on it so that we can keep the tradition alive. This was too good.