Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chocolate Mousse recipes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Chocolate Mousse recipes

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:19 am

I'm looking at chocolate mousse recipes. Approximately speaking, they are all the same: melt 6 oz or so chocolate in a double boiler, add a bit of vanilla (rum, espresso, Grand Marnier, butter), combine with egg yolks that have been beaten with sugar, combine with stiff egg whites, then finally combine with stiff whipped cream. And that is what I've made in the past, too.

But I just looked up David Lebovitz' version. He's quite a desserts guy so I take his opinion seriously: he defers to Julia Child's recipe! Her recipe is just like all the others except: no whipped cream, and the yolk/sugar beating is done warm then cold.

Anybody here have experience with Julia's version?

ETA: Recipe examples, two regular and then Lebovitz/Child:
https://www.themissinglokness.com/2017/ ... te-mousse/
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina ... pe-2040248
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/perfect-chocola/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chocolate Mousse recipes

by Jenise » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:51 pm

As you know, not a dessert eater/maker. But I looked at all three recipes and am guessing I know of almost no serious chocolate lover who wouldn't prefer David/Julia's version with coffee instead of booze and the sharper chocolate flavor unsmoothed over by the heavy cream. But speaking of smooth--texturally, wouldn't the cream be an asset? Looking at the pictures, David's looks grainy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:27 pm

Chocolate Mouse:

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Jenise wrote:As you know, not a dessert eater/maker. But I looked at all three recipes and am guessing I know of almost no serious chocolate lover who wouldn't prefer David/Julia's version with coffee instead of booze and the sharper chocolate flavor unsmoothed over by the heavy cream. But speaking of smooth--texturally, wouldn't the cream be an asset? Looking at the pictures, David's looks grainy.

Well said. That is my issue with the David/Julia recipe: texture. I've decided that I am going with a small quantity of cream, approximately the 'lokness' recipe. But I will swap out the OJ in favor of Grand Marnier and add a bit of vanilla (which will intensify the chocolate flavor).

As you probably noticed, I am doing an orange-flavored chocolate mousse because Pumpkin really likes orange and chocolate together.

And, for those keeping score at home... I have found something to decorate with candied kumquats!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:But I will swap out the OJ in favor of Grand Marnier and add a bit of vanilla (which will intensify the chocolate flavor).

A touch of espresso will also intensify the chocolate. I keep instant espresso on hand for such uses.

I note that Julia uses dark coffee, probably for same reason.

I wish someone would invent a zero-carb real sugar with all its characteristics.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:But I will swap out the OJ in favor of Grand Marnier and add a bit of vanilla (which will intensify the chocolate flavor).

A touch of espresso will also intensify the chocolate. I keep instant espresso on hand for such uses.

I note that Julia uses dark coffee, probably for same reason.

Noted. I'm also switching half the chocolate from our usual 60% bar to a 70% bar.