Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cod..how do you like it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Cod..how do you like it?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:29 pm

The other night at an Italian restaurant, I had a delicious Icelantic cod dish with roasted cauliflower and shaved brussel sprouts. How do the enlightened folks here cook their cod?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cod..how do you like it?

by Jenise » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:27 am

First of all, I really like Icelandic cod; I prefer it to Alaskan when it's available. I do various things with it. Often just do it en papillote with a few sprigs of herb, slice of lemon, and dollops of olive oil and white vermouth.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:46 am

Big cod fan. My standard prep for cod (and most other fish) is baked with fat, salt and citrus. Specifics vary depending on the meal!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:43 pm

I like Cod, as well, usually keep it simple, browned in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice. Served with a good baked potato, again simple, and roasted Brussels Sprouts with lemon.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Schwan's has a great Icelandic Cod coated in ancient grains. I keep it in the freezer and have it for lunch often. Very tasty. Try it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:10 pm

Cod is hugely popular in Louisville, where legend has it that we buy more cod than any other US city except Boston. It almost envirably gets served as a fish sandwich, breaded and fried and served (usually) on rye, with choice of tartar sauce or spicy cocktail sauce.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:Cod is hugely popular in Louisville, where legend has it that we buy more cod than any other US city except Boston.

Three cheers for the city of Boston,
The land of the bean and the cod,
Where Lodges talk only to Cabots,
And Cabots talk only to God.

Unfortunately, the two major cod fisheries in our area--Grand Banks and Georges Bank--have collapsed, and the collapse is likely to be permanent. Minimum size regulations for cod have long been in place. Over time over-fishing of large cod and a big selective pressure in favor of "runt cod" that never grow to legally catchable size.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:18 pm

I love cod! Of course I also love sole/flounder/fluke, halibut, salmon, tuna, swordfish, grouper, wahoo, trout, black seabass, striped bass, char, perch, and others. I am ok with monkfish or Chilean seabass/PTF, though don't seek out. The only fin fish I actively avoid is tilapia.

I like most of the ideas above. But tonight have cod, poached in chipotle/adobo tomato broth, an easy fave recipe.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:51 am

Love cod here, too. When I'm feeling decadent I'll make fish and chips. I'm usually cooking like Rahsaan - in the oven with some fat and citrus. Also will do oven + panko coating.

Had black cod (sablefish) tonight. Seared in a cast-iron pan, then sauced with a mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, a bit of black pepper, powdered ginger, and a drop of sesame oil. Kept spooning it over the fish until the top was warmed.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:54 am

jealous, blsck cod/sable is one of the few things I can't easily source. When it occasionally shows up I am ridiculously one note, always do the Nobu miso recipe. I'm stuck in the 90s. :oops:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:11 pm

I like the Nobu recipe, too, but I don't generally have much notice ("Oh, you have black cod today?") so can't marinate it.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:30 pm

If I spot it, I usually buy some other fish for that night, and then get bc in marinade as soon as I get home, for 2-3 nights later (I think Nobu says 4 days, but I'm impatient)