Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Dirty Rice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: Dirty Rice

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:31 pm

Jenise asked me to post Paul Prudhomme's recipe for Cajun Dirty Rice from Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen. Here it is.

Seasoning mix:
2 teaspoons ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1-1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

Other ingredients:
2 tablespoons chicken fat or vegetable oil
1/2 pound chicken gizzards, ground
1/4 pound ground pork
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups basic chicken or pork stock
1/2 pound chicken livers, ground
3/4 cup uncooked rice (preferably converted)

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Place the chicken fat, gizzards, pork, and bay leaves in a large skillet over high heat; cook until meat is thoroughly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the seasoning mix, then add the onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic; stir thoroughly, scraping pan bottom well. Add the butter and stir until melted. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping pan bottom well (if you're not using a heavy-bottomed skillet, the mixture will probably stick a lot). Add the stock and stir until any mixture sticking to the pan bottom comes loose; cook about 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once. Then stir in the chicken livers and cook about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly; cover pan and turn heat to very low; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. (The rice is finished this way so as not to overcook the livers and to preserve their delicate flavor.) Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP: Dirty Rice

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 pm

A bit of lagniappe concerning this recipe.

"Converted rice" is a trademark used by Uncle Ben's (now called Ben's Original) for their brand of parboiled rice. Paul Prudhomme recommends it for all of his Cajun and Creole recipes and I agree with him--the particular texture and flavor profile of this rice really complements this style of food. My go-to general-purpose rice is jasmine rice. I use basmati rice in Indian cooking and bomba rice for paella. I'd use arborio for risotto if I made that dish.

Parboiled long-grain rice needs a bit more water and takes longer to cook than raw rice. I typically use 1-1/2 cups water to 1 cup raw jasmine rice, bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, then let stand another 3 minutes. The instructions on the Ben's Original bag say 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, cook 20 minutes, and let stand another 5 minutes. I use a bit under 2 cups of water, but definitely more than for jasmine rice.

I'm sure any other brand of parboiled rice will take the same amount of liquid and cooking time as Ben's Original. Raw rice would probably need a reduction in liquid and cooking time. I don't think basmati rice would work very well in this dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:03 pm

Paul, thanks for the recipe. I'll do that this weekend--I'm hungry for it!

About rice cookery, I'm a staunch fan of less water. I don't agree with the instructions on Uncle Bens. Oh I get it, it's their rice and they can say what they want, but I cook very close to 1:1 and if one does that, the rice cooks in 15 minutes. With the higher degree of saturation they recommend, it makes sense that it would need longer cooking/standing time to absorb all the liquid. But I don't know of any rice that's better wetter. 2:1 water to rice is just ridiculous to me. The wettest rice I make is Japanese short grain (my favorite of all rices), and there I only use 1/4 c more water than 1:1.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:58 am

I just edited the recipe to remove my remark about the recipe in the book not saying when to add the bay leaves. Of course it does--right in the very first sentence of the instructions. I copied that correctly when typing in the recipe but somehow I missed it later when doing the proofreading.

So yes--the bay leaves go in first thing along with the chicken gizzards.

D'oh!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:03 pm

Thanks again!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov