Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

OpenTable

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

OpenTable

by Jon Peterson » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:30 pm

How many of you use http://www.OpenTable.com for restaurant reservations, especially out of town/vacation? I've used it for over a year now and really like it. I'll use it for a reservation for lunch in an hour down the street of for a travel destination in three months away. (Maybe I should make this a poll topic.)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: OpenTable

by Hoke » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 pm

I've used it several times.

Works very well for me. Never had a problem with it, and the table has always been there for me.

In a town like SF, it's easier and more convenient to go to Open Table for a date/time, and see a full list of what's readily available. Checking one at a time is frustrating, to say the least.

I would recco it, without hesitation.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Works very well in New York City, except for the hottest restaurants where a personal relationship does better -- in my case at Babbo and Balthazar.

Also very good in Northern New Jersey. Certainly worth trying for anywhere new.
no avatar
User

Tom Brudzinski

Rank

Just got here

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 pm

Orr's Island, Maine

by Tom Brudzinski » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 am

I've used the service several times, both here in Portland and for another place in Maine and several in Boston. The process worked well and the price was right. Only a few of the many great Portland restaurants are listed, but we have used it for the White Barn Inn in Kennebunk, which is one of the best and arguably the most expensive restaurant in Maine.
Tom Brudzinski
Orr's Island ME
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am

Welcome to the WLDG Tom. My brother was living on Orr's Island last year. He normally lives on a 47 ft. sailboat in South Portland, but was a landlubber last year while work was being done on his boat. I visited him there. Nice, quiet place. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tom Brudzinski

Rank

Just got here

Orr's Island, Maine

by Tom Brudzinski » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:02 am

For us, Orr's Island is pretty much heaven. As the billboard seen while entering Maine along I-95 indicates..."The Way Life Should Be."

While we spend the coldest part of the year in another place on the West End in Portland, we can't wait to get back. Portland is terrific and OI is even better!

It is amazing considering how snall it is, how many people have heard of or have some more definite connection with Orr's Island. It's teh "yellow volkswagon" thing!
Tom Brudzinski
Orr's Island ME
no avatar
User

Tom Brudzinski

Rank

Just got here

Orr's Island, Maine

by Tom Brudzinski » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 am

Howie:

I forgot to thank you for the welcome. That was my first post on tis Forum. I do have some history with the janitor here though, in another location.

Seems like quite a nice place and time permitting, I will visit often.
Tom Brudzinski
Orr's Island ME