Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kosher salt: Diamond Crystal or Morton?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Kosher salt: Diamond Crystal or Morton?

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:09 am

What's your preference among the two major kosher salt brands, or do you consider them about the same? I've mostly used Morton's because it's easier to find at the Kroger groceries we frequent most often. But I recently got a box of Diamond Crystal and tried a blind tasting. To my surprise, there was a distinct difference: Morton's had a little more crunch than flakiness, and imparted a mild burning character that didn't happen with the Diamond Crystal.

kosher salt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Kosher salt: Diamond Crystal or Morton?

by Christina Georgina » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:41 am

Only Diamond Crystal for me. I had the opposite experience Robin when I picked up Morton's because my usual source of Diamond Crystal was out. I only measure salt when I bake and otherwise intuit and grab to season while cooking. Big mistake with the Morton's. Way salty and as you say a biting, unpleasant taste at the finish. Also agree that the feel of the grain is different.
BTW, I keep several other salts for specific purposes - fleur de sel, Maldon but use Diamond Crystal for routine stuff like pasta water, brining and every day seasoning while cooking.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:46 am

They are indeed different. Diamond Crystal has flakier grains than Morton. Morton is about 50% more densely packed--you'll notice that the Diamond Crystal box is 50% bigger than the Morton box for the same weight of salt. This has serious implications for cooking since most recipes measure salt by volume. Diamond Crystal dissolves more readily (likely because the crystals have more surface area). The two salts have different mouth-feel.

Morton also has an anti-caking additive while Diamond Crystal is pure salt. The anti-caking shtick has always been central to Morton's marketing ("when it rains, it pours"). I didn't think that was allowed in kosher salt, but apparently it's OK.

This topic came up in another thread in FLDG recently. I have been using Morton but I bought a box of Diamond Crystal out of curiosity. I now prefer Diamond Crystal and will switch to it once I've used up the remaining Morton.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:05 am

I used to use Diamond Crystal flakey sea salt in the tall cardboard can, but cannot find it packaged that way anymore I discovered Field Day and love it. I also use Maldon coarse sea salt for a finish. I have pink salt, black salt, truffle salt, fennel salt, salt with herbs. Most of the flavored salts are gifts from youngest son and wife. I love the coarser salts and only use the fine salt when cooking pastas and it is Morton.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:44 am

I have always used Red Cross salt. I guess I'll have to get a box of Diamond Crystal and see what I think.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm

Welcome to the club. The textural difference is as you say, and the salinity of Mortons is higher. In the past year I had to make do with Morton's during a temporary shortage of DC, and I was miserable. When I finally got the DC again I bought three boxes and threw the Mortons away. There's a very real reason why chefs all over the country exclusively use DC.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:17 pm

Also in DC camp, though during the lockdown/shortage part of the pandemic I once had to use Mortons when local market couldn't get. Very happy when returned.
I don't think we even have iodized in the house.
DC and Maldon are by stove, another sea salt in grinders on table. While I normally avoid flavored, I actually like the Momofuo set - savory, spicy, tingly.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:52 am

The only specialty salt that I use is Himalayan black salt (kala namak), which is called for in a few Indian recipes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 pm

Diamond Crystal for me. Morton's shape is more cubic; DC's shape is more flaky tetrahedrons (hence its name).

Compared to regular salt, use 1.5x Morton's and 2x DC for equivalent amounts of NaCl.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:30 pm

At home I have some lovely hand-harvested Guerande salt that I use for sprinkling-on, but none others.

I'm in a friend's kitchen this weekend. Indirectly, he knows someone at Binet de Sainte Preuve, who has sent him five tins of Grand Cru de Batz salt from Guerande. I have 'finished' a mushroom-asparagus-chevre tart with Fleur de Sel Vent d'Est -- Salt of the East Wind.

After it's served tonight, I'll let you know whether I'm blown away. :wink: