Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fat-washed alcohol

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Fat-washed alcohol

by Barb Downunder » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 am

I’ve just heard about a curious technique of fat-washing booze, I may have been living under a rock.
Apparently it’s been around for years and maybe you’re all familiar with it but it came as a surprise to me. I don’t actually drink much hard liquor, an occasional cocktail or g&t is about it.
Reading a bit has left me not in the least convinced It would be worth the effort or enhance the booze or the fat. I willingly try lots of things but have absolutely no desire to try this.
So has anyone tried either the end result or the process?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Fat-washed alcohol

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:19 pm

Just read a little about it - https://www.seriouseats.com/science-fat ... hing-works
My question would be, Why?
Just seems like a silly step adding more things to do. As for me in my stage of life I want less to do, yet to maintain quality and I see that this step would not accomplish that. I love my martini in the evening, and do not want to mess with it. It is already perfect.
However, many seem to be interested in it. I watch Geoffrey Zakarian create interesting cocktails every Saturday on The Kitchen, he does it with such ease and fast. They all look delicious. Sticking with my martini!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 pm

I have tasted a Benton's Old Fashioned, at PDT. It was revolting: overtly smoky and greasy.

I agree that this seems like a technique in search of an audience.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:35 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:. I love my martini in the evening, and do not want to mess with it. It is already perfect.
However, many seem to be interested in it. I watch Geoffrey Zakarian create interesting cocktails every Saturday on The Kitchen, he does it with such ease and fast. They all look delicious. Sticking with my martini!

What's your gin of choice?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:14 am

Larry, I used to use Gin but switched to Vodka, now I use Seagram's Extra Smooth because I like the taste and I get a good price. I do venture out to other very expensive brands now and then when they are on sale, but always drop back to my usual. I don't like to be too spendy with liquor or wines. Prefer to keep the bucks for kitchen, garden and home, and personal goodies. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:46 am

Sounds perfectly awful!

Larry, I'm a gin drinker. For my last martini earlier this week, I asked for The Botonist. But I've never settled on a favorite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:01 pm

Yet another thing I've never heard of.

I started reading the article then had to scroll up to the top to check if the date it was published was 1 April.

If I drank cocktails these days, I wouldn't do it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:22 pm

For Jenise and Karen: my choice is Bombay Sapphire with Noilly Prat vermouth, usually olives, but sometimes lemon twist.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:06 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:For Jenise and Karen: my choice is Bombay Sapphire with Noilly Prat vermouth, usually olives, but sometimes lemon twist.

Larry, I find Sapphire a little too sweet. Agree on the vermouth. And strangely--much as I love olives, I don't care for them in a martini--I always go with the twist.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:52 pm

A friend just came over. I made my Bombay Sapphire (I like the botanicals) martinis with lemon twists--stirred and not shaken. I couldn't resist after our back and forth on this thread. Now I'm a little blitzed. Who needs pain pills?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:52 pm

Speaking of gin, the bartender in the hotel bar earlier this week who made me a Botanist martini offered me a tiny taste of something called Isle of Harris gin from Scotland. Oh my, maybe the best gin I've ever tasted. I'm on the hunt for it now.