Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

More about eggs with spray tans....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

More about eggs with spray tans....

by Jenise » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 pm

So I have cooked two batches of hard boiled eggs since my original post. Same pan, same style: water with vinegar.

One, commercial/store-bought eggs, all with a uniform Coppertone tan, and again, loogies of what seemed like paint sloughed off into the cooking water.

A second batch today: farm eggs. All brown but various shades of beige, pink and brown. Nothing sloughed into the water. The darker eggs got splotchy and were less uniform in color after the cook, but other than some egg white that seeped through a crack one egg had that I wasn't aware of, there was nothing in the cooking water.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: More about eggs with spray tans....

by Jenise » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:02 pm

Jenise wrote:So I have cooked two batches of hard boiled eggs since my original post. Same pan, same style: water with vinegar.

One, commercial/store-bought eggs, all with a uniform Coppertone tan, and again, loogies of what seemed like paint sloughed off into the cooking water.

A second batch today: farm eggs. All brown but various shades of beige, pink and brown. Nothing sloughed into the water. The lighter eggs seemed unphased, where the darker eggs got splotchy and were less uniform in color after the cook, but other than some egg white that seeped through a crack one egg had that I wasn't aware of, there was nothing in the cooking water.

Btw, this doesn't mean that chicken eggs don't shed color as per the link Dale provided last time, it just means for me the jury's still out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov