Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Mapo Eggplant with noodles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: Mapo Eggplant with noodles

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:14 pm

This is the famous Sichuan dish mapo tofu but with eggplant instead of the tofu. It's also served over wide, flat wheat noodles instead of with rice.

Ingredients:
2 large or 3 small Chinese eggplants (the long, thin ones)
3-4 ounces minced beef (80% lean) or pork
a splash of Shuoxing or other rice cooking wine (or dry fino-style sherry)
1-1/4 cups stock (I used beef stock to match the beef)
1/2 TBS cornstarch mixed with 2 TBS water or stock
1 TBS pork lard (or bacon fat)
2 TBS neutral cooking oil
2 TBS Pixian doubanjiang (Sichuan fermented chile and bean paste)
1/2 TBS ground bot chiles
1 tsp fermented black beans
2 or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
3-4 whole garlic greens or scallions, thinly sliced or chopped into 2 cm lengths
1/4 tsp ground, roasted Sichuan pepper (see instructions)
one serving per person of flat, wide wheat noodles (see note below)

Method:

1. Prepare the Sichuan pepper. Place whole Sichuan peppercorns in a small, dry skillet and roast until fragrant. Be sure not to brown or burn them. Grind them coarsely (a small mortar and pestle works well). This can be made in quantity and will retain its zing for a week or two if kept refrigerated.

2. Wash and dry the eggplants. Cut off and discard the green stem. Slice the eggplants on a 45-degree bias into approximately 1-1/2" wedges using the Chinese rolling-cut method--rotate the eggplant 90 degrees between each cut. place the eggplant pieces in a bowl skin side up, cover the bowl, and microwave on high for about 3 minutes. Alternatively, heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a wok and stir-fry the eggplant for a minute or two, to, as the Chinese say "break the raw flavor".

3. Prepare the noodles. Cook them al dente or to whatever degree of doneness you wish. Bring the stock to a boil and keep it hot.

4. If you are using store-ground meat, run a knife through it to mince it very finely. If you are using Pixian doubanjiang, run a knife through it to chop up the whole beans and chiles.

5. Heat a wok over medium heat. Add the lard and oil and heat. Add the minced meat and break up into small pieces that will each get a good sear. Add a small splash of Shaoxing wine and stir-fry until the liquid evaporates and the oil turns clear (a minute or more). The mince should be frying and starting to get crisp around the edges.

6. Lower the heat a bit, then add the doubanjiang and minced and stir-fry until fragrant and the oil turns red (about 1/2 minute or less). Add the minced garlic and ginger and the black beans. Stir-fry until fragrant (about a minute or less).

7. Add the hot stock, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Slide in the eggplant. Turn the heat down and simmer for a couple of minutes to meld the flavors.. Add the cornstarch slurry a little at a time while stirring. When the sauce thickens, add the scallions and stir to mix everything together. Garnish with the ground, roasted Sichuan peppercorn. Serve over the noodles..

Notes:

The original recipe calls for dao xiao mian, Chinese wide knife-cut noodles. These are wide, flat, wheat-based noodles with ragged edges. Dried dao xiao mian are available online from the Mala Market. I substituted Italian pappardelle.

Pixian doubanjiang and Chinese fermented black beans are available online from the Mala Market. Lee Kum Kee brand of hot doubanjiang is available in many US and UK Asian markets. It can be used as a substitute for Pixian doubanjiang but it's not really the same thing.

The Sichuan peppercorns sold at most Asian markets are almost always stale and pooped out. The Mala Market sells high quality, very fresh Sichuan peppercorns imported directly from Sichuan. Those have that fragrance and mouth tingle.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Mapo Eggplant with noodles

by Jenise » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:47 pm

Got everything needed for the dish--yes, I actually have 3 Chinese eggplants on hand. Thanks for posting this, can't wait!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:10 pm

There must be some Murphy's Law of Hard-To-Find Ingredients at work. I had to substitute scallions for the garlic greens. So of course when I visited Lull Farm the next day they had garlic greens in stock. At least now I know where to get them the next time I make this dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:05 pm

I forgot to mention that the ground beef should be no more than 80% lean. I amended the ingredients list.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:54 pm

Thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov