Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Terrine 18 is On!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Terrine 18 is On!

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:26 pm

After a two year covid inspired hiatus, we reconvened last year for another terrine and wine event (e had done 16 of them) and it was good to be back.

The next one happens Monday Aug 7 2023. I shall be doing an unusual (for me) vegetable based terrine but just being different, I will pair it with two red wines.

Any plans you care to reveal Jenise?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Terrine 18 is On!

by Jenise » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:46 pm

Chicken.

Chicken-garlic-almond. Whites.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:43 pm

I shall be making an Italian spicy vegetable based terrine with reds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:18 pm

Sounds great. Wrapped in kale, right? :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:04 pm

The kale wit that!

No, but I will have hot spicy coppa layered between fennel puree layers. Going red wine - two Carmignanos.

Only thing I haven't settled on is what to do for a side - almost always I'd use a veg based side for a meat based terrine, but that would be redundant here. Maybe just some toasted bread rubbed with garlic oil and cheese.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:42 pm

Actually, as someone who never hesitates to load a plate with vegetables, I don't see the redundancy you do. You just have to make sure that whatever it is doesn't steal attention away from the terrine.

Which did you choose first, the terrine or the wines? In my case, it was the wines. Then I invented a terrine to go with them.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:17 pm

I go around 50/50. Sometimes I work on a terrine first and then once I have that nailed I select wines I think will complement it. That's what I did this time. You'll be getting two Italian red wines.

Other times I'll think of a couple of wines I'd like to highlight and come up with a terrine that I think will work well against them. I did that with my last pre-Covid terrine - chose foie gras to match a dry riesling and an off dry Montlouis (Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Remus Plus – wish I could still get it here - a lovely wine!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:09 pm

I'm not sure I'd had a carmignano before last week, but we did have one that was a blend with bovale, another grape I don't think I've had before. Really lovely, from Castello del Trebbio (which isn't distributed in Canada, so you may not be familiar).

Like you, which is the driver differs from time to time. But this time, I really had my heart set on these two wines and coming up with a terrine to match has been a most interesting challenge.