Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Koresht Fesenjaan - chicken with pomegranate walnut sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Koresht Fesenjaan - chicken with pomegranate walnut sauce

by Howard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Yesterday was Purim, a holiday with origins in Persia so when I came across this recipe I couldn't resist. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Khoresht-Fesenjaan-Chicken-with-Pomegranate-Sauce/Detail.aspx

I used a dutch oven rather than starting in a fry pan and transferring to a casserole dish. Otherwise, I pretty much made it as it is written.

It makes a very interesting flavorful spiced (no heat) dish which I served over lemon brown basmati rice. The walnut-paste/pomegranate sauce is very tasty and unusual in texture. Cooking for 2 1/2 hours turns everything into a sauce like consistency - maybe I cubed the ingredients too small? I don't know, maybe it was supposed to be like that? Also, I'd be tempted to decrease the cinnamon and increase the cardamon but that's just me. Matched very nicely with Ogier Rosine Syrah 2001, which by the way, shows no signs of going over the hill.
Howard
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: RCP: Koresht Fesenjaan - chicken with pomegranate walnut sauce

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks Howard for that recipe...sounds delicious.

So did you dress up for Purim :wink: .
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm

You understand, of course, that Purim tradition requires that the observant get so plastered that they cannot tell Haman from Mordecai. Always my favorite holiday.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:47 pm

You understand, of course, that Purim tradition requires that the observant get so plastered that they cannot tell Haman from Mordecai. Always my favorite holiday.

Absolutely, in fact our rabbi gives out a bottle of wine to any adult who dresses up. The wine is usually terrible but he puts very funny labels on it. He has turned Purim into an art form. This year he dressed up as the scarecrow to the assistant rabbi's Dorothy (she brought a live dog in a baby carriage as Toto). One year, I kid you not, he came dressed up as Queen Esther. Another year was Little Mermaid!! True stories!! We have standing room only on Purim.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:49 pm

So did you dress up for Purim .

Maria,
I did not. But see my answer to Stuart.
Howard
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Howard wrote:Absolutely, in fact our rabbi gives out a bottle of wine to any adult who dresses up. The wine is usually terrible but he puts very funny labels on it. He has turned Purim into an art form. This year he dressed up as the scarecrow to the assistant rabbi's Dorothy (she brought a live dog in a baby carriage as Toto). One year, I kid you not, he came dressed up as Queen Esther. Another year was Little Mermaid!! True stories!! We have standing room only on Purim.

That is AWESOME Howard! Your Rabbi sounds like lots of fun!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm

That is AWESOME Howard! Your Rabbi sounds like lots of fun!

He is a remarkable man, Maria. He and I have had discussions about his use of humor. He has studied it thoroughly and uses it very effectively. It is tempting to dismiss him as a children's rabbi (which is not a bad thing) until you really listen to him and understand just how scholarly, wise, and compassionate he truly is. I have a great deal of respect, admiration and affection for him. My kids (including the one in college) think the world of him too.
Howard