Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Moveable Feast - Book Report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

A Moveable Feast - Book Report

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:28 pm

The Hemingway book of this name came up in another thread here and I realized that I didn't have a copy and wanted to reread it. I checked my local lending library (always preferable to adding a purchased volume to my already overstuffed home library (which consist of no less than one main and three sub libraries distributed about the house). Of course they had the Hemingway book, but I also noticed another book with the same title that dealt with food, so of course I also added that to my reading stack.

It is on that second title that I am reporting here - this Moveable Feast is subtitled "Life-Changing Food Adventures around the World". It consists of selected short chapters from many different food writers including many you will be familiar with, including Anthony Bourdain, Mark Kurlansky, and David Lebovitz, and it turned out to be very entertaining, recounting food experiences from all over the globe. I commend it to you for reading in the near term or adding to your Christmas list.

I'd add that there is a second volume published a few years later. I immediately ordered a copy of each to further swell my bulging libraries.

The subjects are interesting and novel. One has a tale by Simon Winchester, British travel writer, in which he eats dog in Korea (apparently a regular part of the diet there). He of course wrote about it and the response was huge and immediate with his editor summoning him to London to show him the mailbags of responses, all of it highly critical, that were arriving with every post.

The letters included one from a retired British Major who threatened "I wish to tell you that I regard you, Sir, as a total scoundrel! If I ever encounter you in a street in London I promise you, Sir, that I will denounce you publically and will then give you a sound thrashing with a horsewhip."

He later had occasion to eat cat, in the form of a stew in West Africa, and he wrote of it, but neither he nor the publisher received any mail whatsoever in regard to that. I wonder what that says about the difference between cat and dog owners....

Warning - good food writing (as with good wine writing) can be hazardous to your shelf space - I just ordered a book by Mark Kurlansky called "Edible Stories: A Novel about Food in Sixteen Courses" based on his article in the book.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: A Moveable Feast - Book Report

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:48 pm

My father served in Korea. He said that his buddies took him out to a Korean steakhouse one evening and only afterwards told him it was a dog steak place. It would not have been his choice but as they waited till the end to tell him, there was nothing further to do about it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 pm

I am told that there is a clearly defined difference in South-east Asia, between a pet dog and a food dog. One they would never think of eating and the other is just livestock. The cats and dogs as pets only is so ingrained here in the West that we find the thought repulsive, but OTOH, I've known a lot of kids living on farms that have a pet sheep, rabbit or cow, so the dichotomy between pet and food doesn't seem to trouble us either except in the case of the two most often kept pet animals.

When I was establishing our large Rhododendron garden (c. 1 acre) I discovered a rabbit incursion with chewed rare plant material all about. I decided to 'retire' the animals, presumably wild, that were causing the damage and went out with suitably effective tools to deal with it. It would have been quietly completed had I not heard from over the tall fence between the properties "Mommy - have you seen Fluffy? I think he's escaped!". (Some moron introduced Eastern Cottontails to BC in the 1960s and they have become a problem, though not to the degree of the Australian problem. I looked it up - 13 wild rabbits were imported there in 1859 and in 50 years the whole continent was rabbit ridden).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm

I'm squeamish about certain animals and have been told that had I grown up on a farm I wouldn't be so much as I am. And they're right: I'd be a total vegetarian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:41 pm

I think that squeamishness about eating animals centres around a group of animals commonly kept as pets - dogs, cats, horses, rabbits etc. (hey - they eat Guinea pigs in Peru, but if your kids keep them that is a no-no too) plus anything else that is perceived as being 'cute' regardless of whether they are commonly kept as pets. For some reason that doesn't extend to sheep, which are cute, or goats which have devilish looking eyes but taste really, really good!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:25 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I think that squeamishness about eating animals centres around a group of animals commonly kept as pets - dogs, cats, horses, rabbits etc.

I like rabbit. It used to be popular in Britain but stopped when myxomatosis almost wiped rabbits out and afterwards the meat hasn't returned.

Apparently the Romans introduced rabbits to Britain as a source of food and they - and the gentry that followed - maintained large rabbit warrens

I've seen skinned rabbit in French markets; interesting fact. The head is attached in order to show it's not a cat :D

The British don't eat horse - unlike our French neighbours - because, it's said, of folk memory when the Horse was a holy animal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:06 am

Bill, that's pretty much it. Cuteness, pet associations--very definitely my issues. Was interesting to learn on Friday that Coop is even more so than me in this regard, and he avoids veal and lamb. I don't go that far--might have if I hadn't read John Robbins' book Diet for a New America about 25 years ago. He's the heir to the Baskin Robbins fortune who is an animal activist and vegan. After learning more about how all animals are raised for food purposes, including chickens and pigs, I reached the conclusion that it's no more ethical to eat one than the other. If you're going to be an activist then eat none, cuz nobody's getting a nice ride.

So then it just comes down to what appeals. I like lamb but it got a little harder after meeting the sweet and friendly sheep at Daydreamer (by the way, I saw recent pics from the winery, and the fat sheep we met have apparently been replaced). Goats--no. I drove one around in my car in Australia for an afternoon; they're pets.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:55 am

I like rabbit - hand me a plate and I'd be 'lapin' it up!

Had horse once - lean and on the whole I prefer beef, thanks. And being a charter horsey set member since childhood, yes it did bother me to eat an animal that I was sympathetic to.

"the fat sheep we met have apparently been replaced" - wonder where they went......perhaps they met a baaad end in the larder?

And yes, I also deplore cruel animal husbandry methods - battery chickens etc. and am willing to pay more for the kindlier treated sort. I am doing a lot more veg these days but meat is still a staple for us - the Friday evening steak is a strong family tradition!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Awww...
lambchop.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:02 am

Lamb chop with a sherry sauce? Mmmmmm!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am

Nicely played.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:39 pm

One of my friends had a Korean mother-in-law who, whenever the family dog misbehaved, would recite to it a Korean recipe for cooking dog.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm squeamish about certain animals and have been told that had I grown up on a farm I wouldn't be so much as I am. They're wrong: I'd be a total vegetarian.