Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Why does freezing risotto fail so spectacularly?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Why does freezing risotto fail so spectacularly?

by wnissen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:15 am

I've had good luck freezing short and long-grain rices in cup-sized containers; it's a great time saver compared to heating up the rice cooker for each serving. However, a finished pumpkin risotto (see the old archives for the recipe) came out of the freezer with a texture more akin to porridge than the al dente risotto that went in. Any thoughts?

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Channelling my Inner McGee

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:59 am

The rice in risotto is saturated with water. Freeze it and it crystallizes and expands, breaking up the rice. What exacerbates things is that the particular rices used in risotto have the "creamy" starches in greater proportion than the "firm" starches, so the grains can more easily be disrupted.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Channelling my Inner McGee

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:28 am

Believe it or not, I'll second Stuart.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Why does freezing risotto fail so spectacularly?

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:16 pm

Yep, I'm in agreement, as well. I find it just as easy to make each new batch of risotto from fresh rice. I do, however keep all my rices in the refer, but I let the required amount I am going to use come to room temps. before beginning the recipe.
I'm wondering if cooking large batches of rice, then storing the measured amount into containers is not more time consuming than starting with a fresh batch of rice for each meal :?:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:41 pm

I just refrigerate it and make arancini. Mmmmmm, arancini, hggghhhhrrrrrr.....
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The rice in risotto is saturated with water. Freeze it and it crystallizes and expands, breaking up the rice. What exacerbates things is that the particular rices used in risotto have the "creamy" starches in greater proportion than the "firm" starches, so the grains can more easily be disrupted.

Ah, thank you. Carani-whatever-io rice is certainly creamier than even sushi rice, so it makes sense that it would behave differently. We just had a huge batch of risotto left over from Valentine's Day and making fried cakes out of it would have made a stack a foot high... :)

As for making rice and risotto a batch at a time, in my kitchen it takes exactly the same amount of work to make six cups as to make one, and putting each serving in a 1-cup Ziploc container makes portioning and reheating trivial. My wife eats low carb so I literally need only a cup at a time.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:43 pm

wnissen wrote:Ah, thank you. Carani-whatever-io rice is certainly creamier than even sushi rice, so it makes sense that it would behave differently. We just had a huge batch of risotto left over from Valentine's Day and making fried cakes out of it would have made a stack a foot high... :)

Y'know, some of us could have helped you out with that problem....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 pm

I just refrigerate it and make arancini. Mmmmmm, arancini, hggghhhhrrrrrr.....

*Homer drool* Arrrrggggggggg
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:16 pm

Stuart's got it exactly right. The "creamy" starches are so creamy precisely because of all the water that's bound to them. This crystallizes out at freezing temperatures and disrupts the structure of the rice grains. When you defrost it, it disintegrates into mush. OK if you don't mind risotto-flavored pabulum, but pretty revolting if you wanted the original risotto.

-Paul W.