Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bragging a little

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Bragging a little

by Jenise » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:08 pm

So yesterday I sent out an email to my neighborhood Wine Club mailing list titled "It's a Wrap!" There are 150 addresses on my mailing list. In that mail I thanked the 35 volunteers who helped me put on this year's holiday dinner for 80. Two appetizers and champagne during a mixer on arrival, then four courses sit-down with assigned seating.

As I said in that email, "They unpacked, they washed, they set tables, they decorated, they greeted, they cooked, they served, they uncorked, they poured, and they cleaned up". I want them to feel appreciated, and I want them and others to volunteer next year so I did not speak to my own contributions. But this was a full time job for close to two months, and there's no one else here with the trio of administrative, managerial and kitchen skills who could pull this kind of thing off.

So I want to share one of the first responses I got to that email (on a Reply All):

I agree that this holiday dinner was one of our best ever, and the team listed below worked so darn hard to make it happen. It really took a village of volunteers, who worked hours and hours to make it a special evening.

But it never would have happened without Jenise. She was the conductor of this amazing orchestra, working with all the teams, keeping spreadsheets, visiting volunteers to see how they were doing, writing tons of emails, making lots of phone calls, and on top of all that, cooking.

Jenise would be the first to say credit goes to the entire team, and indeed it does. But it also goes to her. Applause!

Feeling pretty proud!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Bragging a little

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:55 am

An awesome achievement I think you deserve a few bragging rights well done.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:49 am

Well done!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:32 pm

Good job Jenise, those large events are lots of work. I've never had to cook that much food for a large event because our police volunteers did most of the cooking and some wonderful staff. One of my biggest was the ice cream social given in summer (yikes) for the block captains. A local dairy provided the ice cream, with many flavors, and goodies to go with. My biggest fear was how we were going to keep the ice cream frozen in the heat. Once that was figured out, it all went smoothly every summer after that. Not a fan of huge outdoor events in Reddings summer, and being out in the heat most of the day was difficult for me . Lots of fun and so necessary for the block captains who work hard to keep our neighborhoods safe.
I admire your sticking to it, that is a long time and lots of cooking.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:11 pm

Thanks, friends. As one friend of mine put it, it's like throwing a wedding when you're the Wedding Planner, the Caterer and Mother of the Bride.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:08 pm

Great analogy!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:10 pm

I'm glad you got some serious appreciation for undertaking (and completing so well) such a huge task!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:31 am

Congratulations!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:48 pm

Adding my name to the congratulatory remarks. Good for you!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:45 pm

Well done!