Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chevre-stuffed Peppadews and Quote of the Month

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Chevre-stuffed Peppadews and Quote of the Month

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:35 pm

The Other Stupid and I have been making a super-easy hors d'oevre by taking drained peppadews, stuffing them with mild goat cheese (we lean toward Laura Chenel), placing them on a cookie sheet, lightly drizzling with olive oil, then baking in a hot oven for just a minute or two until the cheese melts and just starts to bubble. We put the 'dews on a plate, drizzle with really posh olive oil, sprinkle with some fleur de sel, then serve. That's it.

While making this for the umpteenth time, TOS discovered that it's easier to do the stuffing by using the "wrong" end of a spoon as a narrow scoop. It suddenly halved the prep time. His comment: "I feel like the monkey with the bone at the beginning of 2001."
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Chevre-stuffed Peppadews and Quote of the Month

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 pm

I first learned about peppadews about two years ago. Huge search, finally found them and had them mailed to me. Now they are available in my local supermarket. I love them, and have been wanting to try them with the goat cheese. Thanks for the suggestion. If you have any other peppadew ideas, let us know.
I tried them with cream cheese, adding bits of low-fat salami. Nice, with a few chives on top.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm

OK, I give up.

What the heck's a peppadew when it's at home?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:26 am

I quite like them stuffed with ricotta.

Paul - it's like a miniature spicy red capsicum.
Look at this website http://www.peppadew.com/

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:54 am

I've been getting them at Whole Foods for a few years now. Tried several different cheese stuffings - the latest were Maytag Blue and Morbiere (separately - not together). Delicious!
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:05 pm

low-fat salami

Karen isn't that an oxymoron? does it taste like good salami? I am trying to imagine it. :?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:00 am

Have you tried Gallo 60 % less fat, Light Italian Dry Salame? We like it for a snack, with a Bruno's Wax pepper tucked inside. Any pickled hot or mild pepper would do. It won the 2007 "Best Taste Award" 60 calories for 5 slices.
Not bad for a snack, considering the 100 calorie paks companies are putting out, with much less taste than the light Italian Dry Salame.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 am

Bob Henrick wrote:low-fat salami

Karen isn't that an oxymoron? does it taste like good salami? I am trying to imagine it. :?

Bob, I'm with you. Noble as the idea is, I'm noshing on a fat slice of Armandino Batali's "house salami" as I speak, and I wouldn't change a hair on it's head. It is without doubt the best salami I've ever had, bar none. Very coarse, garlicky and slightly sour. I buy a whole one and keep it in the fridge lightly wrapped in paper so I can whack off a slice whenever the urge strikes. It strikes often.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov