Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chile Mango!!! What a great snack.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Chile Mango!!! What a great snack.

by Hoke » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm

I judged at the Monterey Wine Festival this weekend, down in King City.

During the breaks we were able to walk around in the Flea Market/Mercado right behind the competition building on the Fairgrounds.

One family had their truck their with all sorts of roasted nuts and candied fruits and such, including Mission Figs steeped in crystallized honey (yum) and some sort of candied squash (also yum).

But the big hit for a bunch of us was dried mango rubbed with crystallized sugar and roasted chile flakes. I brought a bag full to share with my office buds, and everybody loves it. (I have to confess I bought the version made for gringos and babies, because I didn't think some people could handle the full strength stuff.) Wonderful rich tangy sweetness of mango, very meaty and chewy, and laced with the slow burn of the roasted chiles. Wow!!!!

Now I have to be on the lookout for this stuff locally (the freshly made stuff, not the processed and bagged stuff). It's awesome. Or as one person just said, "This stuff is habit forming."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chile Mango!!! What a great snack.

by Jenise » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:11 pm

OH my, that sounds wonderful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:36 pm

Jenise wrote:OH my, that sounds wonderful.

Yep...so wonderful that when I gave a sample to one of our admin people, she kept coming back and wheedling more, and ended up eating about half the bag.

Now I HAVE to go out and find a local source. Or learn to make my own. I'm thinking I might use John Ash's oven-drying technique for the mango, along with some fine crumbled chipotle.

Plus, all of this leads me to investigate the Mexican traditions of candying different fruits and squashes. That vendor had an impressive variety of candied fruits (and veggies, actually) on display, but I didn't have time to linger and taste through them.

Guess I'll have to do a couple of mercados soon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:29 pm

The combination makes perfect sense--sweet and hot were meant for each other. The exoticness of mango makes it all the more intriguing.

What is John's oven-drying technique, if I may inquire?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:29 pm

By coincidence, I just picked up a bottle of mango chile vinegar at Trader Joes's (also some grapefruit vinegar). Haven't tasted them yet.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:By coincidence, I just picked up a bottle of mango chile vinegar at Trader Joes's (also some grapefruit vinegar). Haven't tasted them yet.

Absolutely correct on this.

Sweetness locks into chilli and vicer versa. My best-selling wine (and my own favourite) to drink with really hot and spicy dishes is a semi-sparkling Muscat / Macabeo blend with 22 grams/litre residual sugar. The sweetness is really cut down by the chilli and the wine takes the edge off the chilli.
Last edited by Warren Edwardes on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Hoke wrote: But the big hit for a bunch of us was dried mango rubbed with crystallized sugar and roasted chile flakes.

Sounds like a common Thai street snack, except they use fresh green mango (unripe and texture like a dry granny smith apple)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:32 am

Chile mango is a Mexican treat and is sold in the Mexican section of stores here.