Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasta with courgette (and some mint)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

Pasta with courgette (and some mint)

by FrancescoP » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm

I know I know that this recipe hasn't got mint as a main ingredient, but it would not be the same without!!! So, I post it .... I also know it is maybe too simple for everybody here, I still post it. Why? I have always loved it since my mum first made it for me years ago!!!

Francesco

Ingredients (for 2):
200g pasta (radiatore shape)
2 courgettes
6 leaves of basil
6 leaves of mint
2 small shallots
3 tbsp olive oil
100ml water
salt to taste

How-to:
1. Chop the shallots finely and cube the courgettes.
2. Sauté the shallot in the oil until soft (2’). Add the courgette and cook for 4’ on high heat stirring frequently. Add the water, salt to taste, the basil ad mint, and let simmer until the the courgette is fully cooked (about 10’).
3. Put everything in a mixer and make a smooth cream out of it.
4. Boil the pasta in abundant salted water for 1’ less than indicated on the package. Warm up the courgette pesto in the meantime and finish the pasta with the pesto on high heat for 1’ more. Serve immediately.
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Pasta with courgette (and some mint)

by Maria Samms » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Sounds fantastic Francesco! Reminds me of a type of pesto.

Now, I will have to ask my British Hubby when he gets home...but if I am not mistaken, courgettes are zucchini here in the US?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:23 am

courgettes = zucchini, absolutely!
no avatar
User

Francesco

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

by Francesco » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:16 am

Thanks. Yes, courgette is zucchini.
My fault, I spend too much time with my british friends :D
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:36 am

Francesco,
Made this recipe tonight and very nice, but when I make it again (and I will) I will be a bit more heavy handed on the herbs - I love my herbs. Matched it to a fairly dry pinot gris and that worked well.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Francesco

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

by Francesco » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:43 am

I really like to hear when people try and change a recipe I post!! It means the idea works. I like recipes for the idea, but rarely keep the original. See, my mum uses Parmesan ... I don't. I use basil!!

In general, I like the herbs very much in the background with respect to the courgette or it could be also the size and flavor of the herbs. Here the basil leaves where large and the mint very strong.

I agree with the wine ... we had red wine, an old Redoma. It also went quite well.

Curious to see your proportions form next time!

Ciao

Francesco
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Oh does that look good. What a beautiful shade of green. I'm doing a dinner party on Saturday night, and I was wanting something different to pair with grilled steak and a garlic sauce, and I was trying to put mint in there somewhere. I realize it's combining the secundi and the primi in a way you wouldn't do, but the rest of the menu is Mediterranean and this would be a great fit.

(Rest of menu: a standup appetizer of seared Alaskan scallops with warm cucumber sauce served on the half shell, an antipasto of purple artichoke halves stuffed with a shrimp panzanella, a secundi of hot taleggio and raddichio tart, the primi, then fresh strawberries with either a lemon-rosemary polenta cake or maccaroons.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:45 pm

I would love to have a piece of the taleggio and radicchio tart !!!
Anyway, it is long since I am fuss about usage of paste or primo and secondo. So many time I got served pasta or risotto as the part of a dish (or better side dish) that I am used to it.

Francesco

PS: Sorry if I happen to use two account ... it depends on which browser I use
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Glad to hear you're flexible. I personally love the combination, because if it were up to me the pasta would be the primi! It is my favorite part of the meal. And in the case of this particular dinner, it will give me the opportunity to get that radicchio tart in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Recipe report: Made this using paparadelle (too smooth for the sauce, by Italian tradition, but I needed a more elegant shape to mound in the center of the plate and support slices of boneless leg of lamb) on Saturday night. It was as delicious as it was beautiful, a great contrast with the rosy rare meat that had marinated overnight in a blender puree of mint, green onions, garlic, olive oil and chestnut honey.[/img]