Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pickles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Posts

8055

Joined

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Location

Albuquerque, NM

Pickles

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 12, 2026 3:44 pm

I couldn't help myself at Smith's when they dropped large watermelons from $7 down to $2.50. Unsurprisingly, the one I bought was barely sweet, unlike the ones I had in my younger days.

But now, I'm contemplating making some sweet watermelon pickles, something I haven't done for many years. If I have enough energy...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Pickles

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 12, 2026 11:59 pm

I asked the internet what to do with a blah watermelon. I got the usual assortment of answers -- pickles, granita, agua fresca, grilling, salting, sub them into cuke recipes -- but then I came across somebody who had clearly been gulping those Creativity Pills.

Are you ready?

Watermelon Katsu: https://www.okonomikitchen.com/wagyumelon-katsu/

Cut the watermelon into flat blocks, draw some of the water out, then bread / pan-fry them as if they were cutlets!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Posts

8055

Joined

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Location

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Pickles

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:33 pm

My watermelon pickles came out good. A friend remarked that they reminded him of applesauce. That's because, besides the sugar, they're seasoned with cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. Certainly easy to make.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Pickles

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:36 pm

Sounds like a dessert pickle!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46568

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Pickles

by Jenise » Thu Aug 27, 2026 9:13 pm

In Jenise-world, that would very definitely qualify as a dessert! I'd love them. Send me a jar. :D
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8775

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Pickles

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:09 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I asked the internet what to do with a blah watermelon. I got the usual assortment of answers -- pickles, granita, agua fresca, grilling, salting, sub them into cuke recipes -- but then I came across somebody who had clearly been gulping those Creativity Pills.

Are you ready?

Watermelon Katsu: https://www.okonomikitchen.com/wagyumelon-katsu/

Cut the watermelon into flat blocks, draw some of the water out, then bread / pan-fry them as if they were cutlets!


Uh......wow.

I suppose it's reassuring that the recipe is adapted from one by the same guy who invented "smoked watermelon ham"? I noticed that the article, while quite detailed as far as the recipe went, had nothing in it regarding how this stuff tastes. That seems less reassuring.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Pickles

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:39 am

Not so fast, Mike. There are 38 positive reviews left on the recipe site.

I love that this very Japanese food was invented by a man named Horowitz.

Anyway, it appears that Harry & Ida's BBQ was killed by the pandemic.

(During the heyday of ramen burgers, I made one or two decent renditions. Maybe this is worth a try?)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

7380

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Pickles

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 28, 2026 10:02 am

Crazy idea, but I also thought that about cabbage steaks, :roll: and now I love them.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Pickles

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 28, 2026 11:10 am

Celeriac steaks and cauliflower steaks are both standard stuff nowadays.

But, somehow, messing around with root vegetables seems more likely to produce a steak than messing around with fruit.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8775

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Pickles

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 28, 2026 11:40 am

Yes, definitely. But don't get me wrong - I'll try just about anything at least once. The fact that it's deep fried and yet is not something available at state fairs isn't a good sign, though. :mrgreen:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46568

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Pickles

by Jenise » Fri Aug 28, 2026 1:00 pm

I had smoked/dehydrated beets that tasted just like filet mignon once upon a time. I couldn't believe it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Posts

8055

Joined

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Location

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Pickles

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 28, 2026 1:16 pm

Jenise wrote:In Jenise-world, that would very definitely qualify as a dessert! I'd love them. Send me a jar. :D


Unfortunately, I had only enough rind for one jar, so I suggest Jake and Amos Pickled Sweet Watermelon Rind, which is a good Pennsylvania Dutch version that you can find online.

As I was eating a couple of watermelon pickles yesterday, I remembered that I used to make corncob syrup, a tasty pancake/waffle syrup that had a hint of corniness. Actually quite good.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ByteSpider, ClaudeBot, DotBot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign