Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wednesday Lunch - Chez Axel - Albuquerque

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Wednesday Lunch - Chez Axel - Albuquerque

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:53 am

Yesterday I was taken to lunch in between some appointments in Albuquerque. I get down to The Big City every couple weeks, but had never been to this restaurant before. I was very impressed and highly recommend it.

Unfortunately, we arrived toward the end of a very busy lunch service and they had run out of their signature French onion soup. (I am a FOS junkie.) While we were perusing the menu we were served a nice sliced baguette with herbed butter.

My dining companion and I chose the beautiful goat cheese salad, which came dressed with a lovely vinaigrette, and the special quiche of the day which was sausage and roasted red pepper, with a side of perfectly prepared baby carrots.... beautifully fully cooked without being mushy. Everything was delicious!

My dining companion selected a decent Cotes du Rhone (whose producer I am blanking on) that went very well with the dishes.

We finished with a light and delicious chocolate mousse.

Now for those of you who have been paying attention, this is the restaurant where our own Larry Greenly plays the piano on Saturday nights. Since they had no French onion soup, my dining companion has invited me back for dinner on a night that Larry is playing. I shall report back!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wednesday Lunch - Chez Axel - Albuquerque

by Jenise » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Nice lunch. And you absolutely must must must go back when Larry's tinkling the ivories. We want pictures, too, though they shall ruin my mental image of Larry as kind of a dusty, middle-aged Kurt Vonnegut.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Nice lunch. And you absolutely must must must go back when Larry's tinkling the ivories. We want pictures, too, though they shall ruin my mental image of Larry as kind of a dusty, middle-aged Kurt Vonnegut.

You don't know that! They may very well reinforce your mental image of Larry.

(Spoken as a strong admirer of Kurt Vonnegut.)

Mike :wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:34 am

Yeah, I'm a groupie magnet.

Too bad about the French onion soup. BTW, I won't be playing Apr. 21. I'm attending a relicensing seminar all day and, then, an awards ceremony that night.

Ahh, if only I were middle-aged again. And photos of me may be dangerous to your health; Kurt Vonnegut is much more handsome. Wouldn't you rather fantasize of me as a tall Pierce Brosnan look-alike with gray-green bedroom eyes?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:45 am

Larry, I can certainly be bribed, er, I mean induced, um, begged not to show anyone the photos I may take of you playing!

Your unavailability on the 21st suits me admirably as I have our annual board meeting starting Friday night and wrapping up with dinner on Saturday. We'll just have to pop round on a Saturday night before that!

BTW... when I mentioned you, the server told me you *are* in fact a groupie magnet!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:10 pm

Wouldn't you rather fantasize of me as a tall Pierce Brosnan look-alike with gray-green bedroom eyes?

No no no, Larry. I picture you, but I do not fantasize about you. Picture. I have a pictorial brain, and if I don't know what someone looks like my brain makes up something based on their personality, a place-holder of sorts. No, no, I do not fantasize about you.

I fantasize about Bucko. :P
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:18 pm

[quote="Jenise I fantasize about Bucko. :P[/quote]

You gotta be kidding. Who would want to fantasize about Bucko?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:40 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:You gotta be kidding. Who would want to fantasize about Bucko?

Obviously you haven't met him. Shock of wavy hair, sexy James Bond smile, chiseled features, broad shoulders, trim waist, about 6'4". That's how you pictured him, right?
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:05 am

I think I've just been sandbagged.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Jenise wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:You gotta be kidding. Who would want to fantasize about Bucko?

Obviously you haven't met him. Shock of wavy hair, sexy James Bond smile, chiseled features, broad shoulders, trim waist, about 6'4". That's how you pictured him, right?

Could play linebacker for the Seahawks, right? :)
Bob Henrick