Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A1 Sauce FYI

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11808

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

A1 Sauce FYI

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 18, 2026 8:39 am

A.1. Sauce (formerly A.1. Steak Sauce and sometimes stylised as A1 Sauce in certain markets) is a brand of brown sauce produced by Brand & Co., a subsidiary of Premier Foods in the United Kingdom (as "Brand's A.1. Sauce") and in North America by Kraft Heinz. Created in London, it was sold from 1831 as a condiment for "fish, meat, fowl and game" dishes in the United Kingdom. ... The product label proclaims: "Est. 1862" because that was the year that the sauce debuted at the International Exhibition in London.


A.1. Sauce in the US includes tomato purée, raisin paste, spirit vinegar, corn syrup, salt, crushed orange purée, dried garlic and onions, spice, celery seed, caramel color, potassium sorbate, and xanthan gum.[10] The 'Original' A1 recipe exported to the USA dramatically differs from the versions sold in Canada.[7] A.1. Sauce in Canada includes tomato purée, marmalade, raisins, onions, garlic, malt vinegar, sugar, salt, tragacanth, spices and flavorings.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8775

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: A1 Sauce FYI

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 18, 2026 12:16 pm

Wow - older than I thought. I routinely order a grilled chicken sandwich with grilled onions at a restaurant we go to around once a week. A-1 is very good on it, and this is pretty much all I use it for.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: A1 Sauce FYI

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 18, 2026 4:08 pm

I recall liking A.1. Sauce but I don't think I've used it in years. Not even sure I possess a bottle of it at this moment.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Posts

8055

Joined

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Location

Albuquerque, NM

Re: A1 Sauce FYI

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 18, 2026 7:20 pm

In general, I prefer Heinz 57 over A1 sauce. I remember I used to buy HP Sauce--somewhat similar to A1. Big fan of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Alas, I don't purchase many steaks anymore to use any kind of sauce.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11808

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Re: A1 Sauce FYI

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 19, 2026 4:40 pm

We get HP in Canada:

HP Sauce is a British brown sauce, the main ingredients of which are tomatoes, malt vinegar, and molasses. It was named after London's Houses of Parliament. After making its first appearance on British dinner tables in the late 19th century, HP Sauce went on to become an icon of British culture.


Image

Image

PS - Lea and Perrins is far better than Heinz!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8620

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: A1 Sauce FYI

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 19, 2026 11:35 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:PS - Lea and Perrins is far better than Heinz!

Absolutely.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ByteSpider, ClaudeBot, DotBot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign