
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
8775
Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm
Sacramento, CA
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
46568
Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm
The Pacific Northest Westest
Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'm no expert on this, but we buy Jay One gochujang, in the red tub. I haven't done any sort of comparison testing, so if anyone has I'd be very interested to hear about it. The best I've ever had was made by the wife of a guy who used to work for my wife's company. She was Korean, and if I have it right, she would take the basic commercial gochujang and jazz it up somehow. Hers was really amazing for it's complexity. Unfortunately, they moved away a long time ago, well before I got to know them well enough to get her recipe.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur
12445
Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm
Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)
Dale Williams wrote:...While I mostly avoid corn syrup we typically use a tablespoon or two of gochujang a couple times a month (in dishes with 4-8 servings), so don't think a significant worry.
Dale Williams wrote:Our current chili crisps are Momofuko Extra Spicy...
Dale Williams wrote:you said you were looking for chili crisp or gochujang. I think of them as quite different in uses.
Dale Williams wrote:One question- you said you were looking for chili crisp or gochujang. I think of them as quite different in uses. Was this for a recipe?
Rahsaan wrote:My favorite is from Lani's Farm. 8oz for less than $15 (I forget exact price), and all plain real-food ingredients from their farm. Such great clear vibrant flavor. I always have their gochugang and ssam jang in the refrigerator, and their doenjang when available. (I also keep their kimchis and soy sauce stocked, I'm a regular and a fan) I get them at the Union Square farmers market because of where I live, but Lani's is at the Carroll Gardens farmers market on Sundays.
Jeff Grossman wrote:I can get to Union Square easily. Whereabouts are they...it's a big market?
Jeff Grossman wrote:I live two blocks from the Brooklyn Heghts greenmarket, which is rather small. I don't even know where the Carroll Gardens one is!
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head
8055
Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am
Albuquerque, NM
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur
12445
Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm
Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)
Rahsaan wrote:[Yes, we all get our own balance. But sounds like we have different cooking habits! I use gochujang (or related products) almost every day, and rarely go more than 2 days without using them!
They're obviously from different countries but I'll admit to combining them. May not come across as 'authentically' anything, but can make for some delicious combinations (with other ingredients as well).
Dale Williams wrote:Wow, I don't know anyone outside Korea who uses that much...I don't use gochujang really as a condiment. Chile crisp we use more often, some cooking but mostly on eggs or as a condiment.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur
12445
Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm
Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)
Robin Garr wrote:I think Laoganma was the first Chinese chili crisp to go viral in the US, and I still like it. https://www.laoganmausa.com/
Next time in one of the local Mexican tiendas, though, I'm absolutely planning to try the Latino equivalent, salsa macha, which looks pretty similar but with Mexican flavors. I wonder if they picked up the idea from the Chinese or if it evolved on a parallel but different path.
https://www.seriouseats.com/salsa-macha-recipe-8679915
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head
8055
Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am
Albuquerque, NM
wnissen wrote:Anything in an unlabeled mason jar tastes better, though..
Users browsing this forum: ByteSpider, ClaudeBot, DotBot and 1 guest